Suggestions for Live Recording with a DAT

Depends entirely on the space and your mic technique. I've done it with good results, but it's been in small spaces with some controlled performances. When I've done live recordings with a pair of ADAT's, I take along the DAT for a stereo safety mix. Generally the DAT gets ditched if the multi-tracks don't fail (those tracks come back to the studio for mix work), but it's nice to have that stereo mix on hand when the band wraps up or takes a break. Give 'em an idea what things are sounding like...

If you're looking for a good recording in a quality room, you'll be better off with your computer. The converters in a Panasonic 3700 aren't exactly modern. They're not total crap, but you likely have better stuff available to you. The DAT is simpler, but what price convenience, ya know? Good luck. I like the challenge of a field recording. No room for operator error there...

If you get a board mix, it will mostly be drum and vocal heavy, and very "dry" sounding. Most likely. The computer may get you more inputs and that will require mixing. Do you have a small mixer? If you just want an okay live recording to DAT, take a stereo out from the House mix into 2 channels of your board (you can do this many ways...if you use the studio outs, soloing will not affect the mix, an you will have a master level control) pan them left/right, and on channel 3 have a room mic (or pair) and mix that in the center to taste. you can do this with extra channels of the board, just remember not to assign the output to anything. That will require the sound guy to be involved, which can either way. Bring every kind of cable you think you will need. Be polite to the sound guy, they