Music You Think You Should Like But Don t

minor threat - i dont have a problem with the actual band and they had a great deal of integrity but, frankly, the music's shit. i just dont know.

phish - they are wank

jesus lizard - ive really tried to get into them but the only song i think is really great is slave ship. puss just doesnt do anything for me at all.

grateful dead - what is this shit.

zappa - hots rats=great. everything else=shit.

naked raygun - heard loads. only good thing is home of the brave.

pj harvey - i really like a handful of tracks a huge amount but i dont know if shes the best thing since sliced bread like so many people make out.

deep purple - really quite boring

tim buckley - the vocal equivalent of 10 minute guitar wankathon

bright eyes - i really hate this music and all the little bed wetting starbucks drinking psuedo hippy cum stains who listen to it.

death from above - ididnt actually realise that we are supposed to like them to be honest

silkworm - seem like great chaps but the music i heard didnt really do anything for me. ill have to try some more i guess.
a sense of history

There's not really any band I don't like that I feel I should, but the bands I dislike generally fall into two categories:

1) Bands I hate so much that merely hearing them makes me want to physically assault the closest person. In this category, one finds The Eagles, Billy Joel, Jewel, Jackson Browne, Rush (except for "Working Man"), Phish, James Taylor, "American Pie," and lots of eighties one-hit wonders.

2) Bands I either hate, dislike, or am entirely disinterested in, the difference being that many people I like and/or admire champion this artist. This does not make me feel guilty for disliking said band, but my negative feelings are complicated by feelings of pity for my wayward friend. Here you'll find REM, Bruce Springsteen, The Pixies, Sonic Youth, The Who, The Fall, Nirvana, and lots of average music I did not even deign to remember.

I guess the difference is that most of Category B I recognize as viable artists even though I have no use for them. Most likely, I know--deep down--that they are not viable but convince myself that they are so I can go on being friends with the people in question.

Does anyone else draw this distinction? Can you say an artist is "viable" yet still hate them? I mean, I loathe The Doors, but something in me recognizes their "importance" (if only because Morrison so profoundly influenced Iggy).

Tim Midgett?

Brett Eugene Ralph wrote:There's not really any band I don't like that I feel I should, but the bands I dislike generally fall into two categories:

1) Bands I hate so much that merely hearing them makes me want to physically assault the closest person. In this category, one finds The Eagles, Billy Joel, Jewel, Jackson Browne, Rush (except for "Working Man"), Phish, James Taylor, "American Pie," and lots of eighties one-hit wonders.

2) Bands I either hate, dislike, or am entirely disinterested in, the difference being that many people I like and/or admire champion this artist. This does not make me feel guilty for disliking said band, but my negative feelings are complicated by feelings of pity for my wayward friend. Here you'll find REM, Bruce Springsteen, The Pixies, Sonic Youth, The Who, The Fall, Nirvana, and lots of average music I did not even deign to remember.

I guess the difference is that most of Category B I recognize as viable artists even though I have no use for them. Most likely, I know--deep down--that they are not viable but convince myself that they are so I can go on being friends with the people in question.

Does anyone else draw this distinction? Can you say an artist is "viable" yet still hate them? I mean, I loathe The Doors, but something in me recognizes their "importance" (if only because Morrison so profoundly influenced Iggy).

Tim Midgett?

Yes, I draw this distinction all the time. I think that's the difference between the high-school-era me and the 2005 me. Back then I had a very Crap/Not Crap attitude about all things musical. I felt like I had to pick sides.

Old me: "Fuck Led Zeppelin."

2005 model: "I want to like Led Zeppelin, and hell yes they are respectable, viable and influential, etc. But Robert Plant's voice and "ooooh baby!" stuff is ear poison. No me gusta."
Hi Ho, Six Shooter!
Branchdweller Summer Camp