Don Caballero sign to Relapse

Christopher_Dragon wrote:
Eksvplot wrote:i think i remember that guy, actually. he had long hair and was the other guitarist, right?

When I saw them he was bald or balding.
He was replaced after he quit but that only lasted a short while before they became a trio.

You are speaking of the lhonorable Jon Fine? He of Bitch Magnet? Have you heard Bitch Magnet? Go find Bitch Magnet.

He also played in an excellent band called Vineland, opening for Rodan opening for Don Caballero (Rusty & For Respect eras, respectively) at the Lounge Ax. Fabulous, and also on two 7".

Played in Don Cab after release of "What Burns Never Returns"? Saw them live, then no more pre-"American Don".

Mr. Jon Fine now plays in a band called Coptic Light. I actually did not know this until right now, and look forward to tracking down the records.
It's like you put everything into a bottle inside itself.

MajorEverettMiller wrote:I'm excited.

I saw the "new" Don Cab twice last year when they toured. It was fucking excellent. The guys Che has playing really held their own.

Damon Che IS Don Caballero and you all fucking know it.

I agree 100%. I saw them with the guys from Creta Bourzia about 2 years ago or so. They were so right on! It was the best show of theirs I had seen since Banfield was in the bandfield...

How can they go on without Ian? Uh, have you ever heard Damon play guitar? If not, get Mebranophonics (the comp on Monitor). The song he does himself (Oh, Suzana) is very well done, and the guitar playing is as good, if not better than what Ian can do. I don't know who writes what in the new Don Cab, but Damon could easily write all of their material.

Getting signed to Relapse is great. I also think Metal Blade, Peaceville or even Inside Out would be great labels for this band.

Don Cab are too great to be on some indie label with a bunch of 80's jerks, krautrock wannabe's and post-rock jerk offs with their silent fart music. This is really great progressive metal, and something completely different than the Queensryche/Fate's Warning/Dream Theater variety (which I do happen to like).

Props to Don Cab for not only keeping it going, but for expanding the field of progressive metal.

I never saw these guys as indie, despite how many records they put out on Douche & Go. In fact, the first time I heard them was when my college roommate gave me "For Respect" because he didn't want to play them on his college radio show ("not indie enough" -- at that time it meant "not Stooges enough"). He said they were way too metal. He did not even want the disc in the radio station...

I enjoy this band's work immensely. The only criticism is that I wish their material was more varied. Something like "American Don" sounds like the same sound rubberstamped across the several tracks. It's really the guitar parts, and taking that KC Discipline guitar tapping sound to the extreme (and KC/Fripp didn't invent that sound either). It's a good idea, but the concept was overdone... And as much as people will laugh at me, this is what I like about Dream Theater or Opeth. Yeah, I don't like every second of their albums, but at least they're not schticky. At least they're not "Johnny one sound". You can't listen to one DT or Opeth track and say "I get it... It all sounds like this", cuz it doesn't...

I have nothing against Ian, and I intend to get some of the Battles stuff, but it's not a high priority... I just want to say, having seen Don Cab with and without Ian and Mike Banfield, I can testify that they are just as good, if not better. I would have to say, the new Don Cab is better than it's predecessor -- the three piece Don Cab.

I will continue to see Don Cab everytime they play live. One of the best bands I have ever seen in my life. They definately hold up to the high standards of progressive metal.

MajorEverettMiller wrote:
DefinitelyNOTtheSWEDE wrote:Is the new version melodically interesting, or is it all balls and chunk?

Both shows I saw were nothing but old material, focusing heavily on "2" and "What Burns..." (which is all I ever really liked, but I REALLY liked it.)

The performances were flawless.

I saw the "real" Don Cab (4 members) during the "...Burns..." tour and and the 3 piece for "American Don".

I honestly prefered the new line-up to either of the originals.

I saw them at Southgate House in Cinci 05/04, and they were unbelievable. Ian is great, but these new guys never missed a note. And they played four or five new songs (I have recordings if anyone would like them to go on the gmail account). This new stuff is great.

yut wrote:Uh, have you ever heard Damon play guitar? If not, get Mebranophonics (the comp on Monitor). The song he does himself (Oh, Suzana) is very well done, and the guitar playing is as good, if not better than what Ian can do. I don't know who writes what in the new Don Cab, but Damon could easily write all of their material.

If you like Damon's guitar playing on that comp, you should check out Thee Speaking Canaries. Damon plays guitar and sings. It sounds like Damon doing Van Halen and the always amazing Noah Leger plays drums.

j_harvey wrote:
yut wrote:Uh, have you ever heard Damon play guitar? If not, get Mebranophonics (the comp on Monitor). The song he does himself (Oh, Suzana) is very well done, and the guitar playing is as good, if not better than what Ian can do. I don't know who writes what in the new Don Cab, but Damon could easily write all of their material.

If you like Damon's guitar playing on that comp, you should check out Thee Speaking Canaries. Damon plays guitar and sings. It sounds like Damon doing Van Halen and the always amazing Noah Leger plays drums.

True.

I have this record:

It isn't crap.
drew patrick wrote:Peripatetic will win.

I wrote:
I saw them at Southgate House in Cinci 05/04, and they were unbelievable. Ian is great, but these new guys never missed a note. And they played four or five new songs (I have recordings if anyone would like them to go on the gmail account). This new stuff is great.

These songs are on the account if anyone wants them.