Music You Think You Should Like But Don t

Aaron Copeland. Lauded by many as the quintessential 20th century American composer. Never enjoyed a single note. Stockhausen I get from an applied "20th century" 12-tone minimalistic architecture. He was a scientist. Copeland was a romantic trying to be a scientist, and his compostitions married the sentimentality of downhome heartland, with atonal rote exercise. The result = dreck.

I also never got the Fugs.
Or the Yardbirds.
Or the Stone Roses/Madchester scene.
Or Peter Gabriel.
Or the Boredoms.
Or second-generation-forward avant garde and/or minimalistic jazz and/or rock
Or Beat Happening
Or The Nuge.

the MC5- The one band I can think of that I really don't care for, but feel like I should. I bought Kick Out the Jams, and though I honestly can't stand to listen to more than one song at a time, I feel like I need to keep it in my collection, if for nothing else, to prove to people that I know my underground rock history (something I pride myself in).

as far as "bands i didn't get initially," these are more numerous:

*the Minutemen (Once upon a time, I actually sold my copy of Double Nickels, realized I had made a wretched mistake, and managed to get it back)

*Big Black (I listened to The Rich Man's Eight Track Tape all the way through four times in a row before I finally stopped straining to understand the lyrics. I didn't understand that they weren't supposed to be the focus.)

*Fugazi (the first Fugazi song I heard was "Do You Like Me" on Red Medicine. I almost turned it off when it didn't change after the first thirty seconds of senseless noise. When I got through it and heard the acutal song, I realized that was probably the idea.)
if i got lasik surgery on one eye, i could wear a monacle.

Wire
Gang of Four
Mission of Burma

Don't get me wrong. I approve of these bands. I ackowledge their importance and the contributions they've made to much of the music I enjoy. They're definitely "not crap." But I never feel like listening to them.

I feel guilty about this for some reason.

As for bands I never cared about, then liked a lot. The Beatles. About half of the time.