The Flying Luttenbachers?

CRAP
Total votes: 8 (19%)
NOT CRAP
Total votes: 35 (81%)
Total votes: 43

band: The Flying Luttenbachers

i had to vote not crap.
Weasel took one of my bands on tour with the luttenbachers and they were quite enjoyable to tour with. I think he comes across as more of a dick and more pretentious than he actually is (We share an affinity for ELO, so we got along pretty well)

There is a group of people that sort of feel they HAVE to enjoy everything he does. I don't know about that. I really like Hatewave as far as ridiculous Death Metal goes. And I really like the Flying Luttenbachers "brutal prog" stuff (Revenge, Gods of Chaos, The void, Infection and decline) past that... It doesn't offend me... but I'm not the biggest fan.

I do give weasel props for his Adam and the Ants cover band he was involved in a few years back. They were trying to cover the bands career in real time 20 years to the day. That takes commitment. And the whole Chicago sound thing, brilliant. We actually started a PIttsburgh sound to help him "franchise" it out.

All that being said, I think the Weasel "folklore" takes over the actuality a lot of times. He doesn't bullshit you... he's very opinionated and you know exatcly where he's coming from. And I admire that
http://www.jeffgretz.com

I really like the Flying Luttenbachers, I was lucky enough to see the Revenge-era line-up, the best meld of metal and free jazz I have ever seen or heard. Others who attempted it never came as close to the naturalism of the Luttenbachers.

I agree w/ Germ War that Trauma is some sort of pinnacle of WW's asethetic. And I love his description of it "not being free and not being jazz". The records since that have not done much for me, but I am always curious to hear what they are up to

His drum kit does indeed sound terrible and sometimes it drives me nuts and sometimes I really think that it works.

I have never met him, he does come across harsh at times in interviews and his writings, but I also think he has a great mind & respect for the music. Some of his liner notes are very witty and insightful (I'm thinking specifically of the
Tribute to Masayuki Takayanagi notes) into his work. His dedication to extreme musical forms, is to me at least, to be commended.

Lake of Dracula fucking rules.

His production work has always well suited the bands he has worked w/.

Not Crap

After buying "Systems Emerge" yesterday, I'm gonna have to re-up my "not crap" vote. Fabulous record, excellent recording quality, and the song structure and idea behind it all is brilliant. I might like this better than "Trauma" after it sinks in, which is doubly amazing because Weasel composed and recorded this record on his own.

Absolutely not crap.

This post bordering on fanboyish enthusiasm? Pretty crap. But not the Luttenbachers.

I used to live with Weasel at what had to be one of the lowest points in both of our lives. The Luttenbachers would practice in our garage which had no power, and was filled with construction waste. I liked the experience of watching the band, but I never was really able to put the sound together to understand it as music.

Despite him breaking a lot of my stuff, and joyfully fucking me over for fun sometimes, I remember him fondly. I hope he has forgiven me for wanting to beat him to death.

Not Crap because I found it entertaining, which is mostly what I am looking for.

Germ War wrote:After buying "Systems Emerge" yesterday, I'm gonna have to re-up my "not crap" vote. Fabulous record, excellent recording quality, and the song structure and idea behind it all is brilliant. I might like this better than "Trauma" after it sinks in, which is doubly amazing because Weasel composed and recorded this record on his own.

You are so right Germ War. Systems Emerge... alone merits a not crap for ww as a composer and musician regardless of the fact that all the other records are amazing, too.
drew patrick wrote:Peripatetic will win.

susan wrote:Just in case you are not clear on what marsupiasshole is saying - when he says work he means picking up his room at his mom's house, and by female coworker he means his sock puppet that he talks to while jerking off to pictures of children and women being humiliated and murdered while fantasizing about his mom.

Sly Bug wrote:I had the opportunity to see them in Marseille in 2000. Excellent!
Not crap.

I'm voting NOT CRAP for this unintended juxtaposition...

Angus Jung wrote:Weasel Walter wanted my band to play this upcoming show with his free-jazz quartet.

We wanted to do it too.

But as it turns out, it's not going to happen because his gtr player this evening, Henry Kaiser, insists that he has to be in bed by 9:30.

I think this is a pretty funny story. I apologize if you do not.

hahahahaha...well, at least he's up front w/ his demands

man I would love to see that quartet