MX-80

CRAP
Total votes: 1 (3%)
NOT CRAP
Total votes: 29 (97%)
Total votes: 30

Band: MX-80

is this band good? i know nothing about these guys except that they were from the midwest (indianapolis? des moines?). never knew anyone who listened to them. i think they're still around. i have songs on a comp from around '80 w/chrome, the residents, and somebody else, and that stuff is pretty decent. i've seen some of their records, though--even early ones--and they always look like they would suck (saxophone and "new wave" clothes etc). so, would somebody "school" me on this band a la the comsat angels thread? thanks.

Truly great band, whose inspiration came from places not expected from rock or (especially) punk bands. They were first active at a time when categorization wasn't as easy or useful, and they carried that individualist trait with them for several decades. Truly an inspiration. Awesome guitar.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electrical dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.

Look for Atavistic's CD reissue of "Big Hits/Hard Attack."

I have to admit I have a hard time dealing with the vocals. But good Lord, Bruce Anderson's gtr playing on those records is fucking phenomenal. You pretty much have to go Japanese (High Rise, Mainliner) to find anybody else who plays w/that kind of abandon.

I saw Anderson do a show w/Henry Kaiser and Loren Mazzacane Connors in Berkeley several yrs ago. He more than held his own. I wish he'd play out sometime.

N/C