Music You Think You Should Like But Don t

New topic coming up (thanks, rachel):

Built to Spill would top my list of "Bands You Thought You Would Enjoy Live Based Upon Their Records, But Who Rather Sucked."

What a bore. Full house at First Avenue, rumors of "last tour" in the air. And yet, they were absolutely flat. There was no -- I mean zero -- energy. Stage banter consisted of Doug Martsch's half-assed "Thanks a lot" after every song. High point of the set was "Dream Police." That's disturbing. . . Then there was "Freebird," note-for-note. Thanks a lot, indeed.

Here are a few for me...

Frank Zappa
The Residents
Steely Dan

I know many people that I respect that like them a lot but I just have never enjoyed LISTENING to these folks. Is it that I have not smoked enough pot (none) or that I am not smart enough? A mixture of the two? Who knows. I guess people can change as they get old/gain more experience. Years ago I thought Jandek was a steaming pile but the more I actually listen to it, the more I am drawn to it.
Last edited by Mayfair_Archive on Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The biggest one has to be the Rolling Stones. They've had great periods in their career and I dont doubt their talent for keeping an audience interested with some humable tunes. However, as part of a younger generation Ive been introduced to them as a band you should respect more for their Hyper inlflated Rockstar Personalities than as actual artists. Everyone I know raves about them but I truly believe they've destroyed any artist credibility they ever had by becoming what they are today.

Also all the garage rock shit that just rehashes old stooges records is completely uninteresting. There seems to be alot of it in Chicago.

Here are a few for me...

Frank Zappa
The Residents
Steely Dan

I know many people that I respect that like them a lot but I just have never enjoyed LISTENING to these folks. Is it that I have not smoked enough pot (none) or that I am not smart enough? A mixture of the two? Who knows. I guess people can change as they get old/gain more experience. Years ago I thought Jandek was a steaming pile but the more I actually listen to it, the more I am drawn to it.

Actually, Frank Zappa never once smoked pot. He once turned down a bong hit at a Mothers of Invention concert saying "nah, that stuff'l kill ya'" and then died from smoking cigarettes (at least it could have contributed I suppose)

BTW, I've gone without cigarettes since Friday afternoon. I'm quitting for good.