Dead Child

i started out playing metal, being a dumb, skinny metal/guitar head guy. granted, i don't have an ironic metal band to speak of. but my point is i think a lot of largely "indie" people generally started out really believing in metal and metal culture, BEFORE they had indie bands, or even indie tastes. and then, after several years, sensing certain limitations with their genre of choice (what we'll again call indie), they started inching back more and more toward their first love.

i was in a lot of different types of bands at one point, and it seemed totally natural at the time for me to explore different sensibilities this way. i think a lot of people have a personal history like this, so revisting a genre isn't always a tongue-in-cheek gesture. it's just a little misguided, which in turn yields all sorts of shortcomings.

it can be sincere, i just think a lot of people genuinely don't know how to pull certain stuff off cuz they're too divided and under the sway of their dominant interests and the idioms associated with them.

funk, or indie music that supposedly references old school black music is like this. what i mean is, generally some shit local "dance" band really, honestly believes they can throw down a killer groove. afterall, the competition in their cultural bracket is pretty weak. but if you play their shit next to a real fucking jam it sounds tritie. not to mention pretty wack.

this is why the best music i ever made was the goofy shit, awesome distorted computer lips and rubber truncheons hitting plastic cubicles and dog food bags taped with duct tape.

blah, blah, blah. you get the point.

Dead Child

hey dave,

no, not to my knowledge. this new band i'm doing just played with black cross in a new last saturday show series and i think there was talk of trying to get them to play but there was some uncertainty as to whether todd would be in town, so they couldn't do it. the only 'performance' they have made would be on the burn to shine dvd that will come out eventually.

i would imagine owens has heard them, but i have not. folks who have heard them said it's straight up thrash i believe.

Dead Child

momofliggins wrote:
i would imagine owens has heard them, but i have not. folks who have heard them said it's straight up thrash i believe.

This past weekend I heard a three song demo that they recorded. It was a little more old school than I was expecting, but I Iiked it. The closest thing I could compare it to would be The Melvins, but that was really only on one song. I must admit that I am a little biased, because I like everything Todd Cook plays on.

Dead Child

I'm in a metal band and an indie rock band. Is that OK with everyone? Because if not...
Someone wants to search my house...what's a reasonable response to that? I know, I'll grab a fucking gun and threaten to kill them, at the end of the day everyone will be happy. Your mindset is fucked and you live in a dream world.