Fish

not one to be controversial, but London doesn't know what real fish n chips is, from my experience. obviously i haven't been in them all, and dont think i have the one you mentioned Rambo, but usually it tastes like feet (God help you if ever the Parmo goes down your way). And whats with no scraps? odd, just odd. Living by the coast i suppose im spoilt for good, fresh fish. but welks? sorry, you can just swimm to the bottom of the sea for all i care, fucking brutal

Fish

libertine wrote:not one to be controversial, but London doesn't know what real fish n chips is, from my experience. obviously i haven't been in them all, and dont think i have the one you mentioned Rambo, but usually it tastes like feet (God help you if ever the Parmo goes down your way). And whats with no scraps? odd, just odd. Living by the coast i suppose im spoilt for good, fresh fish. but welks? sorry, you can just swimm to the bottom of the sea for all i care, fucking brutal

Parmo: ‘The Parmesan,’ a delicacy particular to Middlesbrough, invented by pizza shop owners who have never tasted real pizza, nor real food in general. It’s a pizza with meat in place of the bread. Battered, flavourless pork or chicken, deep fried, coated in something approximating béchamel sauce (let’s just call it white sauce), flavourless cheap Kwik Save mild cheddar, some herbs to make it look ‘nice’, put under grill for a bit and served to you in a pizza box.

See also: The ‘London Pizza’, which is a cheesa and tomato pizza with chips on top, actually cooked onto the pizza as though they were mushrooms or something. Chips. And the ‘Kebab Pizza’ or ‘Doner Pizza’, which is a cheese and tomato pizza covered in the contents of a doner kebab, this time not cooked in but piled on top like a lamb mountain. And of course, no pizza, no matter how well prepared, is complete without the obligatory pot of garlic sauce to pour over all of it.

This, my friends, is Cleveland Cuisine.

Fish

Fish is great food, unless my mom cooks it. The way my mom cooks fish makes pencil erasers seem appetizing. To paraphrase Gareth Blackstock in Chef!, my mom inspired me to the culinary arts - in self defense. I have to eat some amount of fish or seafood every week, because it helps me manage my depression without meds. Shrimp and salmon vs. SSRIs - there's no contest here.

I like just about any kind of fish or seafood. Baja-style fish tacos rock. They remind me of the happier part of my childhood when I lived in San Diego. Ceviche is great too - I can't believe Mexicans around here (West Texas/New Mexico) often don't know what it is. Seafood is the one and only reason I'll go to Mexico. I won't risk getting abducted, raped and murdered for just anything.

I love salmon, and I really like salmon skin. I like making my own salmon skin hand rolls with lot of pickled ginger, but that's a bit of work. Love any kind of Japanese cuisine involving fish. Hell, any kind of Asian cuisine - Thai and Vietnamese seafood dishes are excellant, especially if they have fish sauce. I'm so indebted to the Asian grocer here - it's the only store around where I can get decent seafood in the middle of the desert, although I haven't been brave enough to take home the live eels or rockfish they frequently have in stock. Sometimes they even have monkfish - if you haven't tried it, and you like fish, you should. There's nothing else quite like good monkfish.

I make a great bouillabaisse with roasted red bell pepper rouille too, when I can get good ingredients. Seafood gumbo's another seafood dish I like making, and it's passable with inferior ingredient if you season it right. As a norm, I not a soup person, but I usually like any soup, stew or gumbo that has fish or seafood in it. Any excuse to use fish or shrimp stock, I'm all for it.

I tend to steer clear of raw oysters (I lived in Galveston, Texas for too long - I see raw oysters and think "mmm, yum - hepatitis!"), but cooked, especially fried, yes. All shellfish, including crawfish, definitely get my approval. Shrimp, prawns, mussels, clams, snails (hey I'm French), crab, lobster, squid, langistino... the phrase "better than sex" comes to my mind. My dad's from Maine and hates lobster. I just don't get it. It probably has something to do with when he was a kid, lobster was still "dog food."

The only fish I have culinary issues with is freshwater fish, like trout, pike, tilapia and catfish. I'll eat freshwater eel if cooked right, catfish gumbo and maybe a fried catfish po'boy, but beyond that, no.

There are some fish I don't buy because they are being overfished, namely orange roughy, grouper, sea bass, swordfish and shark.

Fish

Plantweed wrote:Get a couple filets of tilapia. Put some pecans and almonds into a small food processor, then mix with a little bit of bread crumbs. Dip the filets into some egg and then the coating. Heat up a little olive oil in a pan at medium heat, and sear the fish at about five minutes per side. Yummy.

Thank you for this recipe; I am going to attempt it tonight. Do you have more specific information on the amount of pecans and almonds to use, or any other details? Thanks!
Why do you make it so scary to post here.

Fish

Linus Van Pelt wrote:
Plantweed wrote:Get a couple filets of tilapia. Put some pecans and almonds into a small food processor, then mix with a little bit of bread crumbs. Dip the filets into some egg and then the coating. Heat up a little olive oil in a pan at medium heat, and sear the fish at about five minutes per side. Yummy.

Thank you for this recipe; I am going to attempt it tonight. Do you have more specific information on the amount of pecans and almonds to use, or any other details? Thanks!

Um, just a handful of each. Make them into a semi-fine powder. Throw in some fresh parsley too. And you may need to only cook them at 2 minutes per side.

Fish

Plantweed wrote:
Linus Van Pelt wrote:

Um, just a handful of each. Make them into a semi-fine powder. Throw in some fresh parsley too. And you may need to only cook them at 2 minutes per side.

Thank you! As it turned out, I wasn't able to make this recipe that night, due to Dog Problems, so your information did not come too late!
Why do you make it so scary to post here.

Fish

I grew up in one of best areas for seafood in the world, the South Coast of New Zealand.

Crayfish (Lobster) the size of cats, Bluff Oysters, and fish, fish, fish. Our Fish & Chip shops are incredible. Most places batter and fry - in fresh sunflower oil- the fish in front of you when you order it. You can even order oysters and chips.

In the UK you get a piece of greasy frozen cod that has been under lights for an hour... ickky!

New Zealand...
Reality

Popular Mechanics Report of 9-11

NIST Investigation of the World Trade Center Disaster

Fish

Gramsci wrote:Crayfish (Lobster) the size of cats

In the UK you get a piece of greasy frozen cod that has been under lights for an hour... ickky!

We get massive crayfish as well, it's just that it is all exported to Europe, mainly France. We get some of the remnants.

In the UK we like our greasy, deep-fried whiting or haddock and obviously have it smothered with salt and sauce (or vinegar for those in the south). It's a different sort of food. It's for when your drunk or can't be bothered cooking. Incidentally, most of these shops are or originally were owned by Italians....

Fish

Everywhere in Britain, as far as I'm aware, the cod is the fish in the famous fish & chips. Yet in Hull, a city founded on the fishing industry, the main fish in the fish & chip shops is the haddock. I am told that this is because Hulligans are aware that there is a certain kind of grim worm that lives in the cod, that you really don't want to be eating.