Dutchmen! Free shoes and meat.

The best part:

"Police made no effort to stop people taking goods from containers that had broken open, reports say."

Can you imagine what the police response would be like if this happened in the US? First, there would be news bulletins on the police's "zero tolerance for looting policy" Vast areas surrounding the shoes would be taped off, riot squads armed with tear gas and rubber bullets would be deployed to protect the merchants' investments.

It seems as though the cultural differences between Holland and the US extend far past the hash bars and the possibility of ordering a glass of beer in the theatre.

Mazec wrote:Can you imagine what the police response would be like if this happened in the US?

"After a 12 hour campaign of 'shock and awe' the remaining sneakers were finally destroyed by a team of Navy Seals. Colonel McManty told assembled news reporters that the US needed to send out a clear warning to other potential wet sneaker attackers."
Last edited by Champion Rabbit on Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mazec wrote:The best part:

"Police made no effort to stop people taking goods from containers that had broken open, reports say."

Can you imagine what the police response would be like if this happened in the US? First, there would be news bulletins on the police's "zero tolerance for looting policy" Vast areas surrounding the shoes would be taped off, riot squads armed with tear gas and rubber bullets would be deployed to protect the merchants' investments.

It seems as though the cultural differences between Holland and the US extend far past the hash bars and the possibility of ordering a glass of beer in the theatre.

The Dutch have this great law where the police can choose to not arrest people if they don't think it is in the general interest, it's how they get around the Anti-Drug international agreements the government has signed...

I can just imagine the local police commander, "Yeah, well you know iss alle covered by the inshurances ya, so let the peoople have the free shooes."
Reality

Popular Mechanics Report of 9-11

NIST Investigation of the World Trade Center Disaster

Pretty nice, the weather´s looking good, maybe it´s time for a day at the beach!

Until recently there were people living on this particular island who took at as a fulltime job to "loot" the beach and resell the found objects. Some of them became folklore heroes:

There´s probably something similar in Engeland.

Mazec wrote:It seems as though the cultural differences between Holland and the US extend far past the hash bars and the possibility of ordering a glass of beer in the theatre.

Hey Mazec, you are/were in Germany, are/weren´t you? Because than you should know that this is the trueism of the day.

sunlore wrote:Hey Mazec, you are/were in Germany, are/weren´t you? Because than you should know that this is the trueism of the day.

You're right. It is. Zee Germans won't let me forget it. Neither will the Czechs.

In fact, a surprising number of people out here think that smoking (cigarettes) is illegal in America and so on. But I digress.

I still can't imagine US cops just letting you take the goddamn shoes.

BTW, does the professional beach scavenging you mentioned take place on the Friesian Islands?

Gramsci wrote:The Dutch have this great law where the police can choose to not arrest people if they don't think it is in the general interest, it's how they get around the Anti-Drug international agreements the government has signed...

It´s pretty straight foward isn´t it? I mean, a drug problem is only a problem if you acknowledge it as such. It´s decriminalization, maaaaan...

Dutch/US relations are pretty weird right now. Sho weird.

Bring it on, GI!

sunlore wrote:Pretty nice, the weather´s looking good, maybe it´s time for a day at the beach!

Until recently there were people living on this particular island who took at as a fulltime job to "loot" the beach and resell the found objects. Some of them became folklore heroes:

There´s probably something similar in Engeland.

I think there's a case of a shipload of designer sportswear coming a cropper off the coast of Redcar a couple of years or two ago. The whole of Cleveland was in them by the next week. Although how you'd tell the difference I don't know. Perhaps Libertine will shed more light on this tale.

There's a whole culture of luring ships onto the rocks and looting them down in Devon.

i know not of this ship full of sneakers you speak off, Chapter my friend. there was a ship got caught on the rocks about 10 years ago, but that was full of outer mongolians, not trainers. i don't even think they owned trainers.

we've also had a few whales washed up, but definatley not a few hundred pair of adidas tango, otherwise i'd have been there like shit off a stick