GYBE and the like...suggestions?

Labradford. If you dont already know them that is. Start with Mi Media Naranja.

Set Fire to Flames is an interesting GYBE spinoff. Actually I cant remember if thats the name of the band or the album. A Silver Mt Zion are the best sideband of theirs though.

And of course if anyone asks for new music, I always have to reccomend Paul Newman. If you like Mogwai and EITS you'll like them.
simmo wrote:Someone make my carrot and grapefruits smoke. Please.

GSYBE's label-mates Do Make Say Think are better than GSYBE in my books. I like their last two albums best.

Set Fire to Flames is an interesting GYBE spinoff.

Their last double album was a double waste of my time, both times I listened to it. Next time someone wants to mic a 60 w light bulb, play three notes of slide, and package it up all fancy like with blurry black & white photos of passing traffic, count me out. But one of the 13 people in SFTF has (had?) a 3-piece mathy band called Weights & Measures that I liked. They're on Matlock records, which includes (and is run by folks from) North of America and The Plan - the latter of whom kick ass.

http://www.matlockrecords.com/matlockrecords.html

Rotten Tanx wrote:Labradford. If you dont already know them that is. Start with Mi Media Naranja.

Set Fire to Flames is an interesting GYBE spinoff. Actually I cant remember if thats the name of the band or the album. A Silver Mt Zion are the best sideband of theirs though.

And of course if anyone asks for new music, I always have to reccomend Paul Newman. If you like Mogwai and EITS you'll like them.

Think you've hit the spot with most of the bands you mention here, the only other thing I'd mention (but in a more metalish vaguely gothy style) is The God Machine, they had the intensity of the peak of GYBE's build ups, but in a 3 piece :)
Check out scenes from the 2nd storey.

My band used to have a bit of a GYBE vibe, but we lean a lot more to a Loop/Main type sound now.