What s in your Hi-Fi?

mark maloof wrote:I believe the "chokes" you are talking about are ferrites (ferrous metal), and these can act as a filter for high frequency hash when used in power cables, interconnects, etc. I tried some on a pair of interconnects, they did indeed have an effect, but I did not like them. They diminished the extreme highs a bit, which made things sound "richer", but at the expense of top end.

Yeah, these chokes are particularly useful on the low voltage side of switched mode power supplies (like laptops) and for VGA and RGBHV video cables, which must pass 25.5 MHz (for 1024x768 @ 75 Hz) to 120 MHz (for 2048x1536 @ 75 Hz) square waves with minimal attenuation, ripple, overshoot, and harmonics. HF noise can be destructive when present in either of these situations.

I have not noticed much difference with audio, since these ferrites provide minimal effect at audio frequencies. If you can perceive it though...what the hell, sure...why not!
Marsupialized wrote:Right now somewhere nearby there is a fat video game nerd in his apartment fucking a pretty hot girl he met off craigslist. God bless that craig and his list.

What s in your Hi-Fi?

my set-up is nothing spectacular, but it gets the job done:

those are Fluance speakers, and that's a standard Sansui FR-D25 with a new Shure needle. my buddy Will gave me an original LP of 154 the other day, and it sounded pretty fuckin' good on this system -- and i don't even have an EQ. the five disc changer on top is about ten years old and kinda ridiculous in this age of iTunes.

atop the right speaker, that's an original copy of Cassavetes' Love Stream --- on BETA.

What s in your Hi-Fi?

Redline wrote:cjh asked:
anyone got any opinons about a VPI Aries Scout?

Yeah. Buy one! GREAT table for the $$$, better than some costing over 3K, a deal at $1600.00. I'm listening to my records all over again.

What cartridge are you using?

I'm seriously considering getting a Scout after I close on the sale of my condo next week. I was thinking of using my Grado Gold with it for the time being, unless a better suggestion comes up (wink, wink)

Also, how is it to set up? Is the unipivot tone arm pretty easy to live with, or is it a tweaky arm to keep set up? I don't want to be fuggin' around with my setup more than once a year or so.
Marsupialized wrote:Right now somewhere nearby there is a fat video game nerd in his apartment fucking a pretty hot girl he met off craigslist. God bless that craig and his list.