Guitars that are-were inexplicably unpopular-unfashionable.

burun wrote:Ovation has made some completely ridiculous and nearly unplayable instruments. I give you:

The Preacher
The Breadwinner

As far as I can tell, only the very small (like myself and Chris Knox) can play the Breadwinner effectively. If only they made a proper lefthanded one that I could find! Playing this upside down is pretty impossible whilst sitting down.

I feel ya!

Robert Smith played a Breadwinner with the Banshees. My friend has one and it sounds great. 24 frets, good sounding active electronics (mid boost)... supposedly very comfortable (being a fellow lefty I cannot confirm)

I really wish I could find a lefty one (not sure they exist)
David
TRONOGRAPHIC - RUSTY BOX

galanter wrote:
matthew wrote:The Breadwinner was an ugly and awkward guitar with a...hmm how shall I put it...wierd name to boot. I hate to mention Star Trek here, but the Breadwinner looks like a lopsided version of a Klingon battlecruiser.

That aesthetic note aside, I've played a couple of them.....I don't like 'em. They sound like ass. Hence I think it was quite explicably an unpopular/unfashionable guitar. After all, who the hell cares very much about Ovation Breadwinners these days aside from people trying to be "retro-punk-chic"? Yet, the Strat and Tele and Gibson ES-3xx are still going strong after 50 years ina variety of musical genres, and I own one of each of these electric guitars and love 'em. Tried and true.

Well there's always room for taste. I think it sounds good on the video, and I'd bet (based on timbre) it's also the guitar on the record. It's a good rhythm guitar for an out-of-phase pickups sound because of the built-in pre-amp and tweak-ability. I found it to be very comfortable, and it doesn't look as weird strapped on as standing alone.

Eveybody I know that has picked up my friends Breadwinner, even if they hated the sound, has said: at least it's comfortable.

So Matthew your opinion is wrong.

and Gala-guy... Here's a good explanation of the cool controls:
http://www.doremi.co.uk/breadwinner/controls.html
David
TRONOGRAPHIC - RUSTY BOX

TheMilford wrote:Here's a good explanation of the cool controls:
http://www.doremi.co.uk/breadwinner/controls.html

Looks like it would probably be very easy to rewire the p/u selector and flip the two wires coming off one of the pickups at the 3-way and have none of that out-of-phase deal. Or you could always put in a push-pull pot for the tone control (assuming enough cavity depth) and make that an in-phase/out-of-phase switch.

Or you could just leave it like it is. All weird-like.
"The bastards have landed"

www.myspace.com/thechromerobes - now has a couple songs from the new album