Chicago Fois Gras ban!

tbone wrote:
zom-zom wrote:Anyways, you go ahead and eat your factory foods and hope that they don't run out.

I'm not too worried about it. You go ahead and have fun feeding your family without the aid of "the system" or environment-damaging food transportation the first time your area experiences a drought.

The red peppers were a bad example - niche product. The market that establishes many of our staple food prices (such as milk, corn products, and many meats) in the U.S. doesn't actually reflect the true environmental, social, and tax expenditures that are required to create the product. When someone shops at a grocery store, they're often not paying enough to actually support the product supplied if real cost accounting were involved. You can turn a blind eye to it, but it's still there. I'm not suggesting we go back to hunter-gathering, but there are options for working around the impacts caused by the subsidies supporting food production.

Geez, at least with foie gras more of the animal gets used. And in such a delicious way.

Chicago Fois Gras ban!

I haven't been able to find out if the rest of the duck meat gets used in the production of foie gras. If not, it's really a waste of the grain that is fed to the ducks as the final product may be quite profitable but it would seem to me to be quite wasteful.

So I'm not so sure about "more of the animal gets used". In fact, when I was a chef we used free-range ducks and these included the healthy, tasty dark coloured livers which I made into duck liver salads, terrines and patés. The carcasses were used to make stock. All of the animal got used.

Chicago Fois Gras ban!

zom-zom wrote:I haven't been able to find out if the rest of the duck meat gets used in the production of foie gras. If not, it's really a waste of the grain that is fed to the ducks as the final product may be quite profitable but it would seem to me to be quite wasteful.

So I'm not so sure about "more of the animal gets used". In fact, when I was a chef we used free-range ducks and these included the healthy, tasty dark coloured livers which I made into duck liver salads, terrines and patés. The carcasses were used to make stock. All of the animal got used.

Come on! The rest of the duck/goose is used to make cassoulet. It's from the same region.
MIAM
Sylvain
---------
Stella Peel

Chicago Fois Gras ban!

I would support a ban of foie gras on pizza. Served in any of its traditional roles, however, it is an exceptional ingredient that has no substitute.

For example:

Dust a 1/2-inch slice of foie gras (remove any nerves or blood vessels) with corn starch or rice flour. Sear quickly on one side until golden brown. Turn and lightly sear the other side. Serve with a similar-sized slice of of cooled polenta on a bed of bitter greens. garnish with cornichons or pickled onion slices. Salt, pepper, eat.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electrical dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.

Chicago Fois Gras ban!

steve wrote:Dust a 1/2-inch slice of foie gras (remove any nerves or blood vessels) with corn starch or rice flour. Sear quickly on one side until golden brown. Turn and lightly sear the other side. Serve with a similar-sized slice of of cooled polenta on a bed of bitter greens. garnish with cornichons or pickled onion slices. Salt, pepper, eat.

Vous êtes un fin gourmet, Monsieur. I usually eat foie gras with toasted bread, and wine, of course.
Sylvain
---------
Stella Peel