Tom Waits on The Daily Show

Angus Jung wrote:
burun wrote:Hey, I like Tom Waits.

A lot.

He's tough to describe to the uninitiated, but I think syntaxfree's is a decent stab at it.

Perhaps I should clarify, then. I think Tom Waits sucks.

THANK YOU.

jesus christ does he get on my nerves. I love "affected singing" with "trying too hard" mixed in! it's great! pack it in, Waits.

I'll keep Swordfishtrombones, for "Johnsburg, Illinois" but no thank you for everything else.

also, you sucked in Dracula.
kerble is right.

A lot.

He's tough to describe to the uninitiated, but I think syntaxfree's is a decent stab at it.

Really? I can hear a slight similarity in vocal timbre between Waits and Louis Armstrong, but I don't hear Waits' music as a cousin of either Dylan's or Armstrong's, nor do I think that Waits and Dylan are lyrically similar.

I would compare Waits to Captain Beefheart and Nick Cave, with more industrial percussion and more 'avant blues' and New Orleans jazz melodies.

This is all based on what came after Swordfishtrombones- I don't listen to anything that came before that record.

Just my 2 cents.

clocker bob wrote:

A lot.

Really? I can hear a slight similarity in vocal timbre between Waits and Louis Armstrong, but I don't hear Waits' music as a cousin of either Dylan's or Armstrong's, nor do I think that Waits and Dylan are lyrically similar.

I would compare Waits to Captain Beefheart and Nick Cave, with more industrial percussion and more 'avant blues' and New Orleans jazz melodies.

This is all based on what came after Swordfishtrombones- I don't listen to anything that came before that record.

He was more shameless on his earlier records, before he met Kathleen Brennan. "Swordfishtrombones" was the first record he made that reflects her influence.

His cover of "Somewhere" on the "Blue Valentine" LP, for instance, is an embarrassingly blatant Louis Armstrong rip.