[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 240: Undefined array key 1
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4150: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3035)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4150: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3035)
Tom Waits on The Daily Show - Page 4 - Premier Rock Forum

Tom Waits on The Daily Show

clocker bob wrote:
kerble wrote:
Angus Jung wrote:Perhaps I should clarify, then. I think Tom Waits sucks.

THANK YOU.

jesus christ does he get on my nerves. I love "affected singing" with "trying too hard" mixed in! it's great! pack it in, Waits.

I'll keep Swordfishtrombones, for "Johnsburg, Illinois" but no thank you for everything else.

Has Tom Waits gotten a lot worse since September 22, 2004, when you added this to the Waits Crap/Not Crap?

kerble wrote:His name is a sentence.

Not Crap.

Were you 'right' then, or is Kerble right today?

it was kind of a flip response to the C/NC. I vote NC on lots of reasons other than the music. If you'll note, I mentioned the joy I have for the fact that his name is a sentence in this thread as well. It's about all the enjoyment I get from him. And to add, I was hell of surly after seeing him on the Daily Show this afternoon. What a sack of dick. Fucking LAME.

Lastly, I'm always right, even when I contradict myself, or am wrong.
kerble is right.

kerble wrote: I vote NC on lots of reasons other than the music.

Even for a poll on a musician? Are you going to vote NC for George Bush because he handles a mountain bike well?

That's why Matthew Wauck is one of your many admirers- your moral certitude appeals to him.

clocker bob wrote:Sure he did- what do you call the statement 'he has good taste in rip-off'? But he also posted that "Waits sucks"; if AJ wants to say that Waits rips off good artists but then proceeds to make crap stew from his influences, then that's his opinion. For me, if I like the end product, I don't beat up the thief for his borrowing, because I consider theft nearly unavoidable in pop music. Jung doesn't like the end product.

Yeah, I don't dislike rip-offs just because they rip-off. Some rip-offs are great.

Tom Waits sucks. And as Brett Eugene Ralph mentioned, some of his early rip-off moves have a streak of minstrel/blackface in them that is especially distasteful.

Angus Jung wrote:
clocker bob wrote:Sure he did- what do you call the statement 'he has good taste in rip-off'? But he also posted that "Waits sucks"; if AJ wants to say that Waits rips off good artists but then proceeds to make crap stew from his influences, then that's his opinion. For me, if I like the end product, I don't beat up the thief for his borrowing, because I consider theft nearly unavoidable in pop music. Jung doesn't like the end product.

Yeah, I don't dislike rip-offs just because they rip-off. Some rip-offs are great.

Tom Waits sucks. And as Brett Eugene Ralph mentioned, some of his early rip-off moves have a streak of minstrel/blackface in them that is especially distasteful.

told ya, bob.

clocker bob wrote:
kerble wrote: I vote NC on lots of reasons other than the music.

Even for a poll on a musician? Are you going to vote NC for George Bush because he handles a mountain bike well?

you can only vote CRAP on the George Bush poll, bob.

That's why Matthew Wauck is one of your many admirers- your moral certitude appeals to him.

fuck off, bob.
kerble is right.

Angus Jung wrote:Some of his early rip-off moves have a streak of minstrel/blackface in them that is especially distasteful.

I really don't know any Waits pre-1985 or so. I'll take your word about it, but I don't know if the complaint would resonate even if I heard the offending songs. Mick Jagger or Jon Spencer or the Beastie Boys could face the same complaint ( and have )- white guys emulating black artists can have their affectionate emulation mistaken for affected mimicry pretty easily. I try not to put much stock in a performer's mannerisms when I decide if I like the music; usually, if the mimicry is noticeably offensive, the music is an easy call as crap also.