Cubase or Digital Performer

davidpye wrote:Cubase, it's feels unintuitive and very very behind the times on the basic features I believe should have long been standard practice in a DAW.

Not that I'm by any means a Cubase fanboy, but exactly which features are very, very behind?

Cubase was way, way ahead of Logic (for example) when it came to PDC.

I know Logic (I switched from Logic to Cubase when PC support was dropped) and I found Cubase far, far more intuitive than Logic.

That said, I'd switch to Samplitude (again, I didn't ever upgrade from version 7) if I could justify the price.

I think this summing is clearly colored in programs like Fruity Loops or even Acid. I have heard many arguments that Pro Tools has substandard summing; I can't say I've heard it myself. Mainline DAWs like PT, DP, Cubase, Sonar, etc do their internal arithmetic at least at 32-bit precision which is supposed to result in complete transfer of sample information entering a system at 24-bit.

According to the Fruity Loops (oops, I'm sorry: FL Studio) site there is 32-bit internal mixing:
FL Studio is a full-featured music production environment capable of multi-track audio recording, sequencing and mixing for the creation of professional quality songs and realistic drum loops. With VST/DX hosting, 32 bit internal mixing and advanced MIDI support no project is too difficult. Songs or loops can be exported to a WAV, MP3 or MIDI.

I looked this up b/c I'm seriously considering picking this up. I've had a friend's copy of Fruityloops 3 for years to tinker with in addition to Cubase recording. That program is stupidly easy to use, and would love to just have everything in one. I'm looking to do more midi stuff as well (an aspect of recording that until now I've avoided like the plague)
"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill

I've used Fruity Loops since I got a demo of 2 years ago. My friends and I have been big fans of it, and use it pretty much exclusively to create, mix, and produce our experimental electronic group -- http://www.myspace.com/the1montaukproject . Currently we use FL Studio 5 & 6 and they're both pretty awesome. There's a whole lot you can do with the program, so much so I don't really even use my copy of Cubase. In fact, really, it's usually either FL or Adobe Audition. I would recommend people checking it out if they haven't. It's pretty powerful in my opinion.

polymath wrote:Adobe Audition.

Does AA support fx/group busses? I used AA (Cool Edit) for years at work (for spoken word editing) and know it really, really well as an editor but I've never tried to use it as a full-blown multi-tracker. I'm curious.

Something else worth keeping an eye on is Reaper.. Early stages of development, but looks interesting.

TheMilford wrote:I'm curious about this "internal mixing" bit depth issue.

How do you find out what each of the different programs are implementing and how it affects the performance?

The product page will usually have it listed as a main feature.

I don't think my version of cubase (v 1.06) has it, but they started with Cubase 2. Pretty much all the big programs will have it. If you're spending less than $100, or if its a mid-range product that offers TONS of features (like video editing, dvd authoring, cd burning, dj mixing, blah blah etc.) I would get suspicious. This is why I looked more into FL Studio.

As mentioned before, third party plugins are where the problem lies. It's pretty easy to get some shite plugins on the net...
"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill