Obscure Mathrock

Honor Role has always been one of my favorites.
+ some of the most amazing and succint lyrics i have ever heard.
when they disbanded they went on to be in butterglove, loincloth, breadwinner, and a few other compound word-based bands i'm sure.
i swear this is the last time i post here.

Obscure Mathrock

I am probably stating the painfully obvious, but what about bands who had math elements but were not necessary math-rock as such? I am thinking of Calliope, 31 Knots, Moreland Audio, and other bands on 54 40 or Fight! records . . . there's also the label No Quarter, which has math-oriented bands (some of them have broken up though).

90 Day Men aren't obscure, I'd guess. Fragile Porcelain Mice, mentioned upthread, were more Jesus Lizard than math, but they were definitely rhythmically interesting and great fun to see live . . . ten years ago!

Obscure Mathrock

ubuf wrote:I am probably stating the painfully obvious, but what about bands who had math elements but were not necessary math-rock as such? I am thinking of Calliope, 31 Knots, Moreland Audio, and other bands on 54 40 or Fight! records . . . there's also the label No Quarter, which has math-oriented bands (some of them have broken up though).

90 Day Men aren't obscure, I'd guess. Fragile Porcelain Mice, mentioned upthread, were more Jesus Lizard than math, but they were definitely rhythmically interesting and great fun to see live . . . ten years ago!

how about 80's king crimson? when i first heard term "math rock" i seriously thought it describes them and bands influenced by their aproach to music, as all the notes screamed "we're mathematical".
then i saw someone calling polvo math rock and i decided not to waste my time on wondering how retarded and inappropriate a name of the genre can be.

Obscure Mathrock

Christopher J. McGarvey wrote:
JDanger wrote:Haberdasher- Baltimore
That band was so good live. They would end their sets with the main guitarist using playing cards to hold down a chord on a keyboard while he switched over to drums. The drummer would then play steel trashcans.
I think I saw them 5 or 6 times.

They were great live. I saw them when I was probably about 17 and it transformed the way I thought about music. I'm sure I stopped listening to The Bollweevils afterward. I'm pretty sure the bass player went on to play in OXES, another great band, but I would love to know what those other guys have been doing since. Anybody know?

Obscure Mathrock

JDanger wrote:
Christopher J. McGarvey wrote:
JDanger wrote:Haberdasher- Baltimore
That band was so good live. They would end their sets with the main guitarist using playing cards to hold down a chord on a keyboard while he switched over to drums. The drummer would then play steel trashcans.
I think I saw them 5 or 6 times.

They were great live. I saw them when I was probably about 17 and it transformed the way I thought about music. I'm sure I stopped listening to The Bollweevils afterward. I'm pretty sure the bass player went on to play in OXES, another great band, but I would love to know what those other guys have been doing since. Anybody know?
Nat is in Oxes. Steve, Emmanuel and Mike are in More Dogs.
pwalshj wrote:I have offered you sausage.
Rift Canyon Dreams