Recipe Submissions

And as I mentioned over in C/NC....

endofanera wrote:I do a whole vegan recipe thing in the column that I write for Washington City Paper. If any of you cook any stuff that's vegan and wanna send me recipes, please feel free. I'll be happy to give you attribution, thanks, and no small measure of momentary fame in return.

Suckotash@WashingtonCityPaper.com

So yeah, send me good vegan recipes. Or just let me know if I can steal them when you post them here. I always try to give attribution when the recipe's not mine, so if you want that you'll need to post yr real first name (i.e. "Stewie from Chicago"). I can sometimes include links too, when my editor is feeling generous. Thanks!
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt

Recipe Submissions

Last month I went on a kick of making double bacon blue cheese burgers. You fry the bacon; then you fry the burgers in the bacon grease w/the greasy bacon sitting on top of the burgers; then you put some mustard on the bun; then you stack it up:

top of the bun
something green and tasty
big dump of blue cheese dressing
burger #2 w/bacon
big fat slice of tomato
burger #1 w/bacon
bottom of the bun w/mustard

It's about 4" thick.

I think I mixed the ground beef with various things - worcestershire sauce, garlic salt, pepper. Someone told me that I should put chunks of blue cheese in the burgers themselves. I nearly passed out at the thought of it.

This is not a vegan recipe, but boy is it yummy. Be sure to exercise beforehand.

Recipe Submissions

simple Italian Bruschetta (by the way, it's pronounced broo-skate-a, except if you say that in this country no one will know what the hell you're talking about and you'll probably sound pretentious.)

-cherry tomatoes
-balsalmic vinegar
-extra virgin olive oil
-a little bit of garlic, maybe a small clove-fresh mozzarella (the soft white stuff packed in water)
-fresh basil
-bread

slice the bread and pop it in the oven or toaster. chop the basil, mince or crush the garlic. cut the mozzarella into little cubes. mix oil and vinegar in a ratio that goes easy on the vinegar (i don't know, maybe 2:1 or higher). if you overdo the vinegar you can cut the acidity with sugar, but it's best to just not add too much in the first place. mix all the stuff together in a bowl, add salt and pepper to taste (not too much) and let it marinate while you wait for the bread to toast. that's pretty much it.

it's good with red wine, it's vegan/vegetarian, and if you make up a good batch for a woman it might convince her to sleep with you.

-gio

edit: yeah, steal away if you want. you can edit my text, but be gentle.

Recipe Submissions

I have a hard time keeping produce on hand without it going bad, so I've learned over the years to keep some stuff on hand, frozen or otherwise impervious to the lack of attention I pay to the good old crisper portion of my refrigerator.

This is a cheap, fast, good recipe (and vegan, though more by happenstance than design). Plus, I got it from a comic. Hot damn.

CHICK PEAS IN COCONUT MILK

2 cups of canned chick peas, drained (I just throw in one normal size can of chickpeas and that works fine)
1 tomato, chopped
4 whole cloves
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups coconut milk (again, I'm a lazy bastard so I use one normal size can of coconut milk)
1 1/2 teaspoons of TURMERIC
1/2 teaspoon of salt

Throw all of the above into a pot, bring it to a boil, reduce heat and let it simmer for 20 minutes. Serve over rice.

By the way, I'm not into kitchen gadgets, but the automatic rice cooker is essential - it works on pressure, so you can't mess it up.

Credit the comic, if you want: Chickpeas in Coconut Milk, with Dinosaurs

Recipe Submissions

I think this one has definetely got to be tasted to be believed...

tmidgett wrote:if you've never had a 'slay melt,' i highly recommend you try one

you take one piece of rye and half a hotdog bun. slice some smoked turkey, smoked gouda, smoked pork loin, and smoked rump steak real thin. put those ingredients on the rye bread, in the order listed. spread a few tablespoons of chocolate peanut butter on the hotdog bun and eat it. put the rest in the oven and broil until burnt.

Recipe Submissions

I think this one has definetely got to be tasted to be believed...

tmidgett wrote:if you've never had a 'slay melt,' i highly recommend you try one

you take one piece of rye and half a hotdog bun. slice some smoked turkey, smoked gouda, smoked pork loin, and smoked rump steak real thin. put those ingredients on the rye bread, in the order listed. spread a few tablespoons of chocolate peanut butter on the hotdog bun and eat it. put the rest in the oven and broil until burnt.