Into a computer?

I'm completely in the dark about computers and recording.

Say you have a bass guitar playing into an 8 channel mixer and then into a computer to record a track. What would you need from the mixer into the computer? Just a 1/4" cable to a mini 1/8th"? A Preamp if the mixer isn't powered? A special audio card for the pc computer?

Into a computer?

cursedby11 wrote:I'm completely in the dark about computers and recording.

Say you have a bass guitar playing into an 8 channel mixer and then into a computer to record a track. What would you need from the mixer into the computer? Just a 1/4" cable to a mini 1/8th"? A Preamp if the mixer isn't powered? A special audio card for the pc computer?

THING 1 - You have your audio signal being converted into an electrical signal by your microphone. This is sent to your mixer.

THING 2 - You have a computer that can play back music given a list of instructions. Your computer has speakers.

You want to know what you need to turn your sound into music coming from your computer. These are the links in the chain between thing one and thing two.

- A way out of your mixer (probably either a main out or some send)
- A way into your computer (probably the mic in on your computer's audio board)
- An analog to digital computer (again, probably the one on your computer's sound card)
- A software progam that translates the now-digital signal into a recorded file. The software program, if configured well (A BIG "IF"), should be able to recognize, store and playback your signal. And mess with the signal until the cows show up. (Edit, sequence, add effects, eq, blah blah).

Hope this helps,

= Justin

Into a computer?

I'm just like that black kid, but my mom DIDN'T put games on it.

Justin some more direct questions would be:

1. There is an a/v input/output on my radeon ati 9250 graphics card.(new card should be good bit rate). Can I use that to plug into?

2. Does it matter if the graphics card is pci or agp?

3. Do I need a preamp before the computer? Only if the mixer isn't powered?

4. If I avoid using a mic, and plug the instrument into the mixer, how will the sine wave change?

5. Are the only two options plugging into a usb port or microphone imput 1/8" mini on the computer?

Into a computer?

I'm going to hazard a guess that the A/V input on your graphics card is not going to be the best-sounding input for audio, even if it proves to be possible to record audio with it. I am not an expert on ATI graphics cards, but I wouldn't expect much.

A mixer is, in general, a line-level device. It (usually) has microphone preamps built in, which you connect microphones and/or other line level devices like keyboards to. The preamps raise the raw signal from the microphones to the line level signal that is expected by other pro audio gear. Then you "bus" all the inputs to a pair of outputs (the stereo out) and send that to an amplifier if you want to make it loud, like for example if you're at a club and you're using the mixer as part of a P.A. system.

If you instead connect these line level outputs from the mixer to line level inputs on your computer's sound card, then you give your computer the opportunity to record the output of the mixer instead. How you hook this up largely depends on the specific equipment you have. For instance, if your mixer has two 1/4" line level outputs, and your computer has a single 1/8" stereo input, you'll want one of those "insert" cables that goes from two mono 1/4" jacks to a single 1/8" jack.

So no, if you're using a mixer, you probably don't need a dedicated preamp to get the signal into a format that your computer likes to see.

If you plug a guitar directly into a computer, it will probably sound horrible, unless you have a sound card that is specifically designed for this purpose. Guitars and basses are (usually) not line-level devices -- they rely on an amplifier to make sound. So you could plug your guitar or bass into the mixer to get it amplified up to a line level signal. If you plug a keyboard directly into a computer, that might be OK, because keyboards are usually able to output a line level signal.

Note that I said you give your computer the opportunity to record that audio. You will need to have a properly configured audio program to accomplish this. How you configure this program is completely dependent on the type of computer you have, the type of sound card you have, and the software program you choose.

As to your original question, I think if you hook up your bass guitar to your mixer and connect the output of the mixer to the input of your computer, and you have a basic software package on your computer that will enable you to record incoming audio, you should be OK if you're only trying to record a bass guitar. Hope this helps!

Into a computer?

if you've already got a mixer the only thing you absolutely HAVE to have is a $2 1/4 to 1/8 inch adapter. But a usb analog to digital converter is highly recommended if you decide to start doing it on a regular basis.

Are you sure the audio inputs are on the video and not the audio card? You're saying the chord that runs out to your screen/monitor is on the same card as the audio inputs? Is the audio output to your speakers on the same card? Just sounds weird since I haven't seen this configuration before.
http://www.myspace.com/bottombracket