Tube Mic Pre on a Budget

eliya wrote:First, there are a lot of good sounding solid state. Second, crappy tube equipment won't give you "that tube sound".

Currently, I'm rolling with an Aphex 107 and the pres in my Mackie 1402-VLZ. There is not a dramatic difference between the Mackie and Aphex pres, but the Aphex seems a little quieter and smoother. Either way, I wish I had more gain, and more character. For me, this reinforces the point Eilya brought up. In this price range, I'd probably look at the RNP or something.
Yeah, I wrote that. It’s called “I Wanna Rock Your Body.” And then in parenthesis it says “Till the Break of Dawn.”

Tube Mic Pre on a Budget

Lazybones wrote:...difference between the Mackie and Aphex pres, but the Aphex seems a little quieter and smoother.

Shit. I just did an A/B with my Martin, and I had that all backwards. The Aphex is sort of "spikier", has slightly scooped mids, and looser bass, when compared to the Mackie pres. I actually prefer the Mackie pres. More fodder for Eliya's argument!
Yeah, I wrote that. It’s called “I Wanna Rock Your Body.” And then in parenthesis it says “Till the Break of Dawn.”

Tube Mic Pre on a Budget

Rodabod wrote:
eliya wrote:First, there are a lot of good sounding solid state. Second, crappy tube equipment won't give you "that tube sound".

What he said.
At $500, though, he could get something that doesn't suck. The Brick is supposed to be quite good, as are those E-H 12AY7 things, as are the Hamptone kits (which wouldn't break his budget thaaaat much and have two channels), so it's not like he'd be getting some Behringer POS with a glass tube and an LED.
http://www.myspace.com/leopoldandloebchicago

Linus Van Pelt wrote:I subscribe to neither prong of your false dichotomy.