to trem or not to trem?

I'll tell you Faiz, I'd get the vibrato.
A few things to consider:

-It's a drag to add one later if you decide that you want one. You are already spending money to get this nice guitar, what's a little more?
-If you don't use this one, just remove the bar. You may not use it now, and have a reason to use it later.
-I think it's good to have one guitar with a bar. They are fun to experiment with.
-I disagree that most trems suck. I prefer the Jag/Jazzmaster type, but a Strat style, set up correctly, works well. Rickenbacker doesn't use junky parts, and my guess is that they got this right. I had the old style Ric trem, the Ac'cent, for awhile, and it worked really nicely. One of the best available at the time it came out. 40 years later I bet they've made a nice, improved system.
I can't find any info on it at the website, but if it's similar to a strat type, proper stringing and a little graphite will make the thing work fine.

I say get it!

Nice guitar, from one Ric player to another, BTW.

-A
Itchy McGoo wrote:I would like to be a "shoop-shoop" girl in whatever band Alex Maiolo is in.

to trem or not to trem?

Boombats wrote:Man, either way that is a buttah axe. Were I a guitarist I would be playing one of those.

Are you getting the Natural? (my fave)

natural. I can't wait to see it.

alex maiolo wrote:I'll tell you Faiz, I'd get the vibrato.
A few things to consider:

-It's a drag to add one later if you decide that you want one. You are already spending money to get this nice guitar, what's a little more?
-If you don't use this one, just remove the bar. You may not use it now, and have a reason to use it later.
-I think it's good to have one guitar with a bar. They are fun to experiment with.
-I disagree that most trems suck. I prefer the Jag/Jazzmaster type, but a Strat style, set up correctly, works well. Rickenbacker doesn't use junky parts, and my guess is that they got this right. I had the old style Ric trem, the Ac'cent, for awhile, and it worked really nicely. One of the best available at the time it came out. 40 years later I bet they've made a nice, improved system.
I can't find any info on it at the website, but if it's similar to a strat type, proper stringing and a little graphite will make the thing work fine.

I say get it!

this is much good info to consider.

Anyone have any tuning troubles after getting a trem blocked? I figure if I hate it, I can always just stop it from functioning.

Nice guitar, from one Ric player to another, BTW.

-A

I'm so geeked. after tomorrow, I will no longer be a rickenbacker player, but a collector.

so lame.

so tone.

gebo wrote:Can you get a Dakota with a trem now? I have a hardtail, I didnt think it was an option.

they introduced it pretty recently (within the past year or so)

btw, since you have a hardtail dakota, I'd love to hear about it. Does this trem bar option seem appealing to you? Rickenbacker will add it to a dakota after the fact, and the similarities between the hardtail bridge and the trem bridge seem pretty minimal. I've read countless times that the guitar is extremely versatile, do you think it would make the guitar better?

thanks for all this discussion folks!
kerble is right.

to trem or not to trem?

kerble wrote:Anyone have any tuning troubles after getting a trem blocked? I figure if I hate it, I can always just stop it from functioning.

I had a Strat that was blocked, and no, I had no trouble with it.
I'll tell you though, if you just crank the crud out of the tension springs, and make sure there are 5 springs in place, you won't have any problem.

I'll say again, you can set up a Strat type trem system so it stays in tune pretty reliably, as long as you aren't wailing on the damn thing.

If, however, you want to render it temporarily useless, putting in 5 springs and cranking them down essentially makes it a hardtail (except that it has a cavity in the back). When you bend a string really aggressively, it won't pull the trem block forward, as if you dipped the bar lightly, if that makes sense.
If you have 5 springs torqued down you won't be able to dip it even if you bend the string off of the neck. That's as close to hardtail as you can get.

-A
Itchy McGoo wrote:I would like to be a "shoop-shoop" girl in whatever band Alex Maiolo is in.

to trem or not to trem?

ChristopherM wrote:
Dudley wrote:Also, and I could be very very wrong here, but after a certain age, doesn't one know, deep down inside, whether one is a trem person or a non-trem person, like knowing if you prefer gentlemen or ladies, or cats or dogs. It's important to experiment, sure, but after a while, you just know.

Very true. My band-mate ordered his Electrical a while back with a Bigsby. My reaction? "A Bigsby?!? Are you fucking kidding me?!?" I would NEVER get a guitar with a Bigsby, or for that matter, any other type of tremolo setup. And at first I was going to give him major shit for that, but after thinking about it I decided "No. You know what? That's just the type of guy he is. All of his guitars have tremolos! Why should this one be any different?" You either are, or you're not.

I'm thinking you're not. Don't get it.

On that note, I don't really know if I am or not.

My current main guitar (rickenbacker Hamburg 220):

I bought from my old bandmate, basically sight unseen because it was a ric, I was getting one hell of a deal on it, and I needed a decent guitar.

It exceeded all my expectations. I love this guitar. best I've ever played. but I didn't choose a vibrato arm or not when I bought it, I just stumbled onto it. the dakota seemed like a great next guitar b/c it's so similar, yet very different. it has no sealing finish! it's just wood and oil! grrr! I would like to add that these two guitars are going to look so nice together.

fucking christmas.

I think I'm going to get the one with the tremolo. I'm convinced that it could be disabled to the point where my tuning won't get wonky if I don't use it. it looks like it's nicely made.

I leave in two hours.
kerble is right.

to trem or not to trem?

if you hate it you can block it..

no troubles..i've done it to at least 3 of my guitars..

get the tremelo and block it if it pisses you off..
you don't need to glue the block in..just fit them in nicely and add a spring..

you won't even need 5 springs..3 will do just fine.

and that metal gibson was complete shit..
i don't know what in the hell you're talking about zom.zom.
complete shit.

and ofcourse there was no way to disable it..