Bill Hicks

Crap
Total votes: 6 (8%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 66 (92%)
Total votes: 72

Comedian: Bill Hicks

As a comedian, Bill Hicks was amazing. I only have to look at him and I'm laughing. Dude dripped funny and had amazing performance ability.

But looking at his stuff on paper, his shit is terrible. His smug "I love books, me" crap, his paranoid libertarianism and conspiracy theories, second hand mysticism and bared-teeth disgust and hatred for everyday humanity are terrifying. Why are sensible people so keen to embrace this? I'm in the waffle waitress' corner, I'd rather be serving waffles than reading whatever Bill was as he gives himself another massive pat on the back for using a big words and listening to prog rock.

That said, dude makes me laugh long and hard, but I can't get behind him as a satirist or political comedian because it is all ego, gloating and paranoia. Guess he's the Johnny Ramone of comedy.

big_dave wrote:As a comedian, Bill Hicks was amazing. I only have to look at him and I'm laughing. Dude dripped funny and had amazing performance ability.

But looking at his stuff on paper, his shit is terrible. His smug "I love books, me" crap, his paranoid libertarianism and conspiracy theories, second hand mysticism and bared-teeth disgust and hatred for everyday humanity are terrifying. Why are sensible people so keen to embrace this?

Great post. I've been wrestling with the above myself since the reappearance of this thread. I really want to vote NC, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Funny as all heck of course, this goes without saying, and I still regret that I passed on the opportunity at the time to see him perform in person, but when i'm watching him I always have to tell myself he knows he's really a dick, that's all part of making the funny.

Still, the waffle waitress should have told him to go fuck himself.

Bill Hicks was amazing.

His ability of pissing people off with the truth, priceless. I hold in high regard, anyone who can/will preach the merits of psychedelics, in a logical, sensible fashion.

Sault, Mr. Hicks. You will forever be missed because you were not crap, in my mind.
Animals are something invented by plants to move seeds around. An extremely yang solution to a peculiar problem which they faced. T. Mckenna

eephour wrote:Gottfried is funnier.

I agree completely, though I think others don't. While Hicks has riffs, most of which are on point, Gil is irreverent and doesn't really 'riff'. Sure, he's got a stable of great impressions, but those are just filler for whatever pops into his head. Gil is funniest when he's bombing. Hicks is best when he's slaying.

The flop-sweat ridden, racist, foul-mouthed, nebbish puts people off.

Someone mentioned Kinison. He wasn't funny.

Bill Cosby was funny when he was a kid. It's pretty clear now that his early years were based on a personality that isn't his.

Rickles is hilarious, and in the same vein Redd Foxx. No love for Robin Harris?

And one of my favorite stand-ups is Albert Brooks.

For reference, here's a list compiled by Comedy Central. It's totally fucked up, but there's 100 names on it....

ubercat wrote:
eephour wrote:Gottfried is funnier.

I agree completely, though I think others don't. While Hicks has riffs, most of which are on point, Gil is irreverent and doesn't really 'riff'. Sure, he's got a stable of great impressions, but those are just filler for whatever pops into his head. Gil is funniest when he's bombing. Hicks is best when he's slaying.

The flop-sweat ridden, racist, foul-mouthed, nebbish puts people off.

Someone mentioned Kinison. He wasn't funny.

Bill Cosby was funny when he was a kid. It's pretty clear now that his early years were based on a personality that isn't his.

Rickles is hilarious, and in the same vein Redd Foxx. No love for Robin Harris?

And one of my favorite stand-ups is Albert Brooks.

For reference, here's a list compiled by Comedy Central. It's totally fucked up, but there's 100 names on it....

That list is unbelievably bad. I can think of no surer way to detect a Nazi party member than checking to see if they hold more esteem for Robin Williams than Kaufman and Bob Newhart.