Noises My Amp Shouldn t Be Making (Help!)

Okay, so, my amp kind of gave me a "fuck you" tonight. Silvertone 1484 head. Started crackling and distorting (overmuch) and cutting out, so I plugged my guitar into the other channel and it worked fine for about twenty seconds, then got REALLY distorted and went entirely silent.* Anyone have any idea what causes such things? Do I need to retube? Some of my tubes are original '60s stuff so I might have to anyhow... Any help would be much appreciated.

---
*Luckily it was at the end of the last song so I threw down the guitar, grabbed a mic, jumped on something, and screamed the last chorus. Whee.
http://www.myspace.com/leopoldandloebchicago

Linus Van Pelt wrote:I subscribe to neither prong of your false dichotomy.

Could be a fuse.
Sounds a lot like a fuse.
Also, make sure the right fuse was in there to begin with.
The reason I say this is because I had a similar experience, but during the set up of a show.
I was using a MusicMan 50 watt bass head and not a Silvertone, but I doubt that matters since they are both tube heads.
My amp made a really weird tone, then a low volume tone and then nothing.
Replacing a fuse will cost you infinitely less money than replacing a tube, as I'm sure you know.
pwalshj wrote:I have offered you sausage.
Rift Canyon Dreams

I had that happen to me, but it was the bass' fault. I played for 20 minutes without any problems, then I heard more fuzz than ever, and all of a sudden it got really quiet. I figured out that it wasn't the amp, because my other bass didn't have any problems, or my guitar. The wiring is all fucked up in that bass.
Marsupialized wrote:I want a piano made out of jello.
It's the only way I'll be able to achieve the sound I hear in my head.

I think Scott's on the right track. Did the lamp/light go off (on the amp--if you took out all the lights in the room, congratulations!)? This would indicate the fuse blowing. What you're describing sounds like an output tube dying; it will often take a screen resistor with it. If you're feeling adventurous, and have spare fuses and tubes, you could:

: take out the output tubes, put in a good fuse, turn it on. If it lights up and nothing smells funny, try...

: putting in new/good output tubes. Let it warm up a bit. Once again, if it doesn't blow the fuse, and nothing smells/smokes, plug your guitar in. If it sounds okay, you're probably fine. If it still sounds low-power/too-distorted/crackly/etc., you may have a blown screen resistor, though this is just the most common problem--there could be other damage. I don't know if you really want to get into that stuff; if not, it would be time to see a tech.

Good luck--those are cool amps.

-Tom