Bands should only be allowed to release one album - discuss

Steve V. wrote:
Skronk wrote:Yeah, screw "Highway 61", "In On The Killtaker", "Chairs Missing", "Closer", "In Utero", "Free Jazz", "Blood On The Tracks", "Revolver", "10,000 Light Years", "Solid Gold", "My War", "Bedtime For Democracy", Double Nickels...".

Bad Idea.

"Trout Mask Replica," "Excellent Italian Greyhound," "Goat," "Spiderland," "Pull," "Hex Enduction Hour," "Stella," "Atomizer," "Metal Box,"...sorry, thought I'd just throw a few more TERRIBLE followups out there.\\

Some day, a band will come up with a way of weaseling out of a debut album.

seconded.

this is a bad idea. I think I know what the guy's talking about - Lester Bangs characterized it as "we do our work and then we're done" or something like that while talking about the Sex Pistols breaking up, or more precisely Sid Vicious - but I don't subscribe to it. Some bands only have one album in them (the Pistols are a great example) - but some bands have many more, and you can't just write everyone off the same way.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

Groucho Marx wrote:Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

Hibs1875 wrote:Well I think it's a great idea personally.

Disagree.

While War and Pain is a fine album. It pales in comparison to Rrröööaaarrr, Killing Technology, and Dimension Hatross.

Yes. Voivod. More than one album. Please.

On the other hand, Gang of Four's debut is arguably their best. And while Solid Gold is also good, it all gets kind of questionable after that.

This is a dumb thread. Why am I here?

So, how do you think the Cabbage will do next season? Will Whittaker still be there? Please give us your thoughts on that here.

Who wants to go through the work of tracking down what a band calls itself after it releases a great record?

I can appreciate changing your name if you truly think something about your band has changed. "Disbanding" often means "yeah, it's largely the same people, but we're doing something different/want to separate ourselves from this other band," or something along those lines. Lots of people have milked success by keeping a band name despite the loss of many band members, while others change members but still do a good job of "being the same band," whatever that means to you.

This is an idea not worth discussing. I already regret even posting in this thread.