New EA sendspace thread

slowriot wrote:
If you would like some recommendations (I don't know if you have Soulseek or anything like that), here are a few:

Howard Zinn: A People's History of the United States (read by matt damon, which kind of blows, but is easily ignored)

I bought this for the trip. I've read it a couple of times before, but sometimes I like to brush up.

Thanks for the other recommendations. I'll try to hunt some other stuff down.

And thanks for the Harry Potter offer, but I'll have to pass. Thanks anyway!

New EA sendspace thread

Nina can draw a line in the rocky sand if she so pleases...but alas...fuck her...for I am in the woods...so far away from her lines and her "rules."

I'm in the woods far too deep to post anything but the finest musical cuisine...and I can't be bothered with vinyl rips and major labels.
kerble wrote:Ernest Goes to Jail In Your Ass

New EA sendspace thread

Minotaur029 wrote:Nina can draw a line in the rocky sand if she so pleases...but alas...fuck her...for I am in the woods...so far away from her lines and her "rules.".
I'd have thought that communing with nature in the forest would have given you a calmer perspective. They aren't "Nina's rules" as such, quite a few people (myself included) think that they're just common sense.

I'm also not sure why you'd take such a provocative stance with someone who's done more to increase the value of this thread than most; perhaps you were just joking.
ginger in my hands

New EA sendspace thread

For those of you unfamiliar with one of my favorite "groups," Negativland, here is one of their lesser known albums. I can tell you that Escape From Noise changed my life, and that the title track on Negativland's Helter Stupid album is so genius, and so beautiful, that it has made me cry like a little emo boy. So make sure to go get those on vinyl (if you don't already have them)...I'm surprised that no one has even mentioned Negativland with the exception of a couple people...with all of Negativland's bashing of the copyright law, I guess they won't mind this little share:

Negativland - Dispepsi

http://www.sendspace.com/file/pmuvoh

Here's another taste of the great Augustus Pablo...this came out shortly before East of the River Nile. 1975...it's a little more crude than East of the River Nile, but it's still a fabulous listen.

Augustus Pablo - Ital Dub

http://www.sendspace.com/file/yudl3v

This is kind of in the vein of Negativland...if they were less of a noise collage project...and more of a pyschedelic lullaby writer. Um...yeah.

Bill Holt - Dreamies

http://www.sendspace.com/file/admqvs

Now I'm really pushing it...but I don't usually post such available stuff...so I won't post any albums for a really long time so as not to mortify BadComrade...but I have to put this up because I was in a really nostalgic mood tonight.

One of the only people I could talk about music with in Madison who wasn't of the post-punk persuasion, but not of the dumbass hipster persuasion either...was my friend Camie. She's from Austin. She ceased being able to attend UW-Madison with us...moved back to Texas to attend UT-Austin for much cheaper. She loves dead black guys like me...believes in the power of cassette tapes...moves back and forth between L.A....an incredible artist and person.

We would sneak into the student radio station and play Americana type music from about 4-6 A.M. on Tuesday nights and sneak Spotted Cow (a really good beer) into the studio. We'd find old albums...I'd burn out-of-print Killdozer CDs...she'd go rifling through the vinyl. She had the greatest knowledge of little folk ditties that might be on the weirdest fucking Disney album...she loved to pick up seemingly worthless albums from garage sales in the hopes of finding that one wacko novelty tune.

I was working as a shadow DJ...we had a drunken interview on the air about an upcoming show, and we played some of our recordings on the radio. After picking out some ancient song, I noticed that Camie had taken off from the lobby...she proved to be in Studio B with the turntable, sitting alone in the dark.

I asked her what she had found, and she showed me the cover of Foreign Affairs...I think it's from 1977...a lesser known Waits album...but still from my favorite Waits period (the early period)...the tail-end of the early period, granted, but it is still old school Tom. It was an appropriate choice as my friendship with Camie in real life was coming to a close. I'm sure we were listening to side B. It was so present and melancholy on vinyl...it had the effect of cutting down this album's slight cheese factor to zero. I was feeling the brotherhood of drunkeness...feeling warm and sad...I grabbed Camie's hand and told her that it wasn't going to be the same without her...and honestly...it hasn't been.

We've only met up once since.

So someday, if you're really, really lucky...a short, curly haired girl with an unusual breadth of knowledge about music...and a familiarity with what "soul" truly means...as well as a doctorate in the meaning of southern hospitality...will approach you in Texas...and buy you a drink.

Tom Waits - Foreign Affairs

http://www.sendspace.com/file/wfstge

Despite the saccharine gloss slapped onto pretty much all her albums, I actually do...legitimately...seriously...have a soft spot for some of Carly Simon's songs. The lyrics are direct and often...painful. I would have been proud to write some of the words that she sings. Fuckin' quote me on this someday if you have to. The back half of this "album" I could do without...but I also put up Milli Vanilli. So there.

Carly Simon - Reflections: Carly Simon's Greatest Hits

http://www.sendspace.com/file/bno4f3

She has a huge mouth.

New EA sendspace thread

fiery jack wrote:
Minotaur029 wrote:Nina can draw a line in the rocky sand if she so pleases...but alas...fuck her...for I am in the woods...so far away from her lines and her "rules.".
I'd have thought that communing with nature in the forest would have given you a calmer perspective. They aren't "Nina's rules" as such, quite a few people (myself included) think that they're just common sense.

I'm also not sure why you'd take such a provocative stance with someone who's done more to increase the value of this thread than most; perhaps you were just joking.

You guys are so touchy feely! Nina is one of my favorite people on the planet.

I'm just in a goofy mood. I didn't realize the post came off as hostile...I guess I should have.

New EA sendspace thread

not strictly a sendspace link but...

perhaps it's because I was working in a fine record shop at the time and had easy access to them, but it's always seemed to me that '92 -> about '94 was a particularly strong time for singles - DLJ's Bullet train to vegas, Unwound's caterpillar, Shadowy Men on a Shadowy planet singles, the Table singles etc etc. However, one of my all-time favourites, and a rare example of the B side being just as good as the A side, has just been posted on the splendid "Something I learned today" blog.

Gaunt: Jim Motherfucker/Spine 7"

it's a bit of a shame that, for me, the rest of Gaunt's stuff never really lived up to the promise of that single. I think it still sounds spectacular.
ginger in my hands

New EA sendspace thread

This one's especially for Arson Smith, but others may enjoy it. (The vinyl has become one of those Holy Grails among 70s hard rock enthusiasts.)

Truth and Janey - No Rest For The Wicked

From AllMusic.com:
Not to be dismissed because of its underground status, Truth and Janey's only LP, No Rest for the Wicked, was another incredible find for indie record label Monster Records, which has always specialized in digging up long-forgotten American hard rock nuggets from the '70s, but really struck gold this time around. Boasting a swaggering, bluesy grit, piercing twin-harmony licks, and the most righteously ferocious rhythm guitar tone this side of Ted Nugent, opener "Down the Road I Go" instantly establishes the band's '70s hard rock aesthetic whose roots, not surprisingly, lie in English giants like Cream, Jeff Beck, and even more so in Rory Gallagher's Taste, on this particular track. The powerful influence of these '60s guitar heroes can also be heard in Truth and Janey's revved-up blues covers (Willie Dixon's "I'm Ready" and Mississippi John Hurt's "Ain't No Tellin'") and groove-driven originals ("The Light"), while a slightly more distinctive voice emerges in truly memorable, half-electric/half-acoustic creations like "It's All Above Us" and the title track (showcasing frantic sprints between six-stringer Billy Janey and powerhouse drummer Denis Bunce). And this being the '70s, there was bound to be a progressive-sized epic on hand, and it's pleasant to discover that No Rest for the Wicked's entry -- a nine-minute opus called "Remember" -- is no throwaway. ...More
You had me at Sex Traction Aunts Getting Vodka-Rogered On Glass Furniture

New EA sendspace thread

Mose Varty-Seppanen wrote:Jupiter Eye by Das Damen. SST Records Presents Loud Psychedelic rock recorded by Wharton Tiers at Fun City N.Y.C. 1986. It’s no “You’re living all over me” but if you like Husker Du and early Dinosaur Jr…

http://www.sendspace.com/file/u4k8nd

Finally, after four years, the OTHER Das Damen fan reveals himself.

Salut to you, sir. We are a small population.
I make music/I also make pretty pictures