Good Modern Jazz

I'll second the Dave Holland.

Here are a few others that kinda lean toward the mellower/chamber style without being stupid or sappy.

Wayne Horvitz
James Carter
Marilyn Crispell
Enrico Rava
Don Byron
Louis Sclavis
Carla Bley
anything with Paul Motian playing drums
Ron Miles

Frank

ps if anyone's interested, I host a show here (http://www.kgnu.org) tomorrow (Weds, 27 June) from 9 to 12 pm Mountain time.

Good Modern Jazz

Ernest Dawkins and his collaborators - check him out with the New Horizons Ensemble outfit. Bop, swing, and experimental improv.

If you can catch him playing in Chicago, please do, as seeing them at the Green Mill is probably one of the best live music experiences I've ever had.

Good Modern Jazz

The new Vandermark thing 'Powerhouse Sound' (recorded in part by Bob Weston I think?) is awesome. Jeff Parker's guitar on it is really great, as is everything.
Rick Reuben wrote:We're all sensitive people
With so much love to give, understand me sugar
Since we got to be... Lets say, I love you

Good Modern Jazz

Everything I've heard William Parker-related has been great, but I'm especially fond of the Little Huey Creative Orchestra stuff, it's like Mingus' big band records but with bits of balls out free chaos. David S. Ware is consistently awesome on record, also check out Tim Berne, Ellery Eskelin (especially the trio records with Jim Black and Andrea Parkins), Vijay Iyer/Fieldwork, i'll second Vandermark as well, Jason Moran...

There's a link to a Parker/Drake record on AUM Fidelity that someone posted above, check around their catalog too, I find them to be pretty dependable. I'll try to remember to up some stuff in the Sendspace thread.