Good Modern Jazz

If modern = contemporary:

OWL XOUNDS EXPLODING GALAXY

Psychedelic jazz freakout, more or less. It's a bit sloppy at times, but it's very energetic, in your face, fuck you at its best. The record they did with Arrington De Dionyso is worth checking out.

http://www.myspace.com/owlsounds

Whoever said FLAHERTY/CORSANO, I second that wholeheartedly. Steel Sleet/Last Eyes are amazing. The best Flaherty I've heard is with Corsano and a saxophonist called Steve Baczkowski on a record called The Dim Bulb.

Having seen Flaherty/Corsano and C Spencer Yeh (of Burning Star Core) at ATP, I would recommend anything they've recorded. They were quite possibly the best band of the weekend for me.

That's about all I got. I saw Vandermark once, in a trip, and it was amazing, but I got a couple of CDs and they do nothing for me.

Could anyone make album suggestions for Gayle/David S. Ware/Murray and all the rest?

merci.

Good Modern Jazz

Scott Harding aka Scotty Hard (producer/engineer for many of your favorite rap records) put out an album not long ago which was pretty good. Challenging but accessible; sparse & unsurprisingly well-produced.

It's on Thirsty Ear, a label which released El-P's jazz album, which I also liked quite a bit. They also put out Matthew Shipp stuff (pianist), whose work I have been enjoying when I dip into it here & there. They put out a budget-price sampler which would be worth tracking down. It has one of the best tracks from the El-P album on it -- sweet!

Anyone ever get that Sasha Frere-Jones/Loren Mazzacane Connor (sp) CD? Interesting listening...

PRE-EMPTIVE NOTES:
* I am a raw jazz novice. No pretensions, few preconceptions. Just know what I like when I hear it.

* The Scotty Hard album contains, among other participants, 2/3 of Medeski, Martin & Wood (I forget which 2; the drummer & keyboard guys, I think). I am also a new jack re:MMW, but I can only imagine they are a polarizing topic around here. Please reserve any MMW-related abuse for fans over on their message board. I'm neither an endorser nor an apologist.

Mr. Graham

Good Modern Jazz

all things Charles Tolliver and Music Inc. Get "Live at Slugs" Vol 1 and 2 on repress. They're fucking great.

Dave Holland--Conference of the Birds

Don Cherry--Brown Rice

Mccoy Tyner--literally everything from 67-79, especially the 70's milestone records stuff. try "Trident" and if you don't like it, take a very large amount of pills and drink a 1.75 ml of scotch.

Freddie Hubbard--all blue note stuff

Desert Island record should be Duke Ellington's "Money Jungle."
ABC Group Documentation>New Music For Working People

Good Modern Jazz

Colonel Panic wrote:
I'm not a huge fan of most fusion, but there's some interesting stuff out there. Fusion is basically the melding of jazz with rock and various ethnic or "world music" styles. Some decent stuff:

Miles Davis' later stuff
John McLaughlin and Mahavishnu Orchestra
Jeff Beck
Herbie Hancock
James Blood Ulmer
Jean-Luc Ponty
Al Dimeaola
Alain Caron
Carlos Santana
Steely Dan
Jaco Pastorious

You edited twice and forgot Weather Report both times. They defined the genre, and were the most cerebral of the bunch. Let's not forget Steps Ahead, Bill Frisell, Kazumi Watanabe, Pat Metheny or Bass Desires as well. Many more I forgot, I'm sure.

I'm predicting a sure-fire PRF jizz of disapproval in 3,2,1... GO

Good Modern Jazz

LBx wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:Jeff Parker, Nathan McBride

can you (or anyone?) recommend other releases these two have played on that are comparable to what is going on on that Powerhouse album. man i love those discs...

thankee.

McBride plays in a similar style on the three Spaceways Inc records, of which I think Version Soul is the best. If yr looking for more Powerhouse type stuff I would go get these records.

Also his playing on the 4 Corners record is really good. I haven't heard the records he has done w/ Pandelis Karayorgis but they are supposed to great and I have no reason to doubt that.

As for Parker, other then obv Tortoise, the record that really turned my head by him was Out Trios Vol 2 that Atavistic put out, its him, Kevin Drumm and Michael Zerang.

As for recent jazz (or are we just arguing about what "modern" is in this thread?)

Jemeel Moondoc Revolt of the Negro Lawn Jockeys
Peter Brotzmann/William Parker/Hamid Drake Always Too Early, Never Too Late
Odyssey Band (Ulmer/Burnham/Benbow) Back in Time
The Thing Garage
The three Spring Heel Jack "jazz" records are sort of incredible, Masses, Amassed and Live
Instant Composer Pool Orchestra Oh My Dog!

Fred Anderson, Vandermark...I dunno this all stuff off the top of my head, recent (last 10 yrs or so)