Vista?

Shitsa
Total votes: 39 (89%)
Vital
Total votes: 5 (11%)
Total votes: 44

My wife bought a nice, high-spec laptop recently. Vista came pre-loaded.

This laptop, while powerful, can barely handle this Vista bullshit.

Slow, annoying and wasteful. You will find yourself installing XP instead after about 5 minutes.

Oh, and this news didn't make me want to use M$ too much, either.

The kernel meets The Colonel in a just-published Microsoft patent application for an Advertising Services Architecture, which delivers targeted advertising as 'part of the OS.' Microsoft, who once teamed with law enforcement to protect consumers from unwanted advertising, goes on to boast that the invention can 'take steps to verify ad consumption,' be used to block ads from competitors, and even sneak a peek at 'user document files, user e-mail files, user music files, downloaded podcasts, computer settings, [and] computer status messages' to deliver more tightly targeted ads.

If that ever creeps into my XP installation, I'll pull an all-nighter, cut my video-game losses, and switch all computers to linux. That is some bit of crazy right there.

Edit: I'd also like to add that I haven't heard anything good about Vista. Perhaps this is another 'Millennium Edition' that will be eclipsed in a year?
"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill

It's NOT CRAP because in a year or so from now it will be stable. Machines will be powerful enough to run it and there will have been a service pack or two.

Microsoft's aggressive methods of forcing people to the new OS are pretty CRAP though.
run joe run wrote:Kerble your enthusiasm.

After going all Vista for their new products, Dell and others dropped back to making XP available on new computers. They did this due to popular demand.

Also the 64 bit versions are supposed to be really hamstrung by a lack of drivers.

So at this point you can have problems with Vista if your computer isn't powerful enough, or if your computer is too advanced. You need a computer that's juuuust right.

A major operating system release should not read like the 3 bears.

Right, these problems were there with XP for the first year or so too. Once they had been hammered out, it was a vast improvement over 98 or ME. I'm wary of calling this WORST OS EVARRR when I know it's not even going to be an issue if I bump this thread a few months down the line.

Granted, in an ideal world this shit would never happen.
run joe run wrote:Kerble your enthusiasm.

i have a friend with also, a shiny new laptopt bundled with vista.
he said that the best thing about it it´s that, when you have activated the file extensions (all your files show the extension, ex. docs.txt, setup.exe) and you rename those files with F2, it just select the name of the file without the extension.

that´s it.
so yeah, i'm a pussy.

Benny wrote:i have a friend with also, a shiny new laptopt bundled with vista.
he said that the best thing about it it´s that, when you have activated the file extensions (all your files show the extension, ex. docs.txt, setup.exe) and you rename those files with F2, it just select the name of the file without the extension.

that´s it.

XP can do that too.

Tell your mate to downgrade.

tommydski wrote:Right, these problems were there with XP for the first year or so too. Once they had been hammered out, it was a vast improvement over 98 or ME. I'm wary of calling this WORST OS EVARRR when I know it's not even going to be an issue if I bump this thread a few months down the line.

Granted, in an ideal world this shit would never happen.

It doesn't happen to Apple users. Over the last few years they've jumped from the Power to Intel chipsets, and moved from the classic OS to Mac OS X, and throughout the entire process they've had emulation support for legacy software that's worked mostly flawlessly. Huge leaps in an OS, and everyone has been carried forward with a minimum of disruption.

Apple is like the pretty girl with a 160 IQ. People see sexy good looks and assume there isn't a powerful intellect underneath. Big mistake.

galanter wrote:It doesn't happen to Apple users. Over the last few years they've jumped from the Power to Intel chipsets, and moved from the classic OS to Mac OS X, and throughout the entire process they've had emulation support for legacy software that's worked mostly flawlessly. Huge leaps in an OS, and everyone has been carried forward with a minimum of disruption.

In fairness, we're comparing apples to oranges here. Ba-dum-tiss.

Apple control the hardware, Microsoft do not. This makes their life a fuckload easier than for Microsoft, who are at the mercy of the 3rd party manufacturers who may or may not do things very well.

Things wouldn't be so rosy for Apple if their user base was able to log onto newegg.com and buy 20 separate parts and build their own from scratch.

That said, Apple's strategy is the right one. They should keep their Macs under lock and key.