Deerhoof

crap
Total votes: 27 (23%)
not crap
Total votes: 90 (77%)
Total votes: 117

band: Deerhoof

Choo Choo Choo Choo Beep Beep

You're right! You don't have to be Japanese to sing retarded lyrics!

edit: Just wanted to add that I didn't have to look but one second for those lyrics - because they're how the deerhoof site is advertised - further proving my point that her retarded "cutesy" Japanese-accent riddled lyricism is a BIG part of the gimmick.
"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill

That's a crock of shit. By your logic there is no way it would be acceptable for her to play music.

Satomi is Japanese and she sounds Japanese. Part of performing is to accentuate theatrical aspects of yourself. She's also a great musician and songwriter. Focus on that instead.
run joe run wrote:Kerble your enthusiasm.

Maybe she should be forced at gunpoint to sing about common themes we can all relate to, in her best American English.

That'd solve the problem pretty quick.

tommydski wrote:She's also a great musician and songwriter. Focus on that instead.

What?!?! Are you alleging that a small, Japanese, FEMALE could be a great musician and songwriter with an artistic style of her own?

SIR, I BID YOU GOODNIGHT!
Rick Reuben wrote:
daniel robert chapman wrote:I think he's gone to bed, Rick.
He went to bed about a decade ago, or whenever he sold his soul to the bankers and the elites.

I don't think anyone's trying to particularly "defend" that particular lyric as some massively insightful piece of poetry or something. I think people are trying to point out that your reasons for dismissing her lyrics as a whole seem a bit lame. Specifically, you seem to think that her lyrics are part of some "gimmick". Having had the good fortune to promote several shows for Deerhoof, meet the band, and see them perform from very close quarters, I'd say that she's pretty much as in to what she's doing as anyone. It's not a gimmick - it's just how she's chosen to express herself. If you don't like that, then fair enough - but the gimmick thing smacks of narrow-mindedness.
Rick Reuben wrote:
He went to bed about a decade ago, or whenever he sold his soul to the bankers and the elites.

Fair enough - you know them and believe in what they're doing. That's cool by me.

I like the music sometimes, I have grown to like the lyrics and singing less and less over time.

Perhaps I should have left it at that.
"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill

Cool.

Salut, unarmedman, for being very reasonable! I should probably have been less sarcastic too.

It is rare that people are reasonable enough to let an argument drop like that round here.

You are probably a better man than me.
Rick Reuben wrote: