Hot Rod vs. Galvatron

Crap (No votes)
Not Crap
Total votes: 2 (100%)
Total votes: 2

Climatic battle: Hot Rod vs. Galvatron fight scene

I watched this on DVD again about a year ago. And just before I started watching it, my mate began on this explanation on how it was just one big advert for a new range of toys by Mattell. And how the cartoons were just an advert for the toy range in essence.

Kind of spoiled it.

Hot Rod was a bit of a twat. I prefered Ultra Magnus as an Autobot leader, but he couldn't wield the matrix thing.

NOT CRAP.

chairman_hall wrote:I watched this on DVD again about a year ago. And just before I started watching it, my mate began on this explanation on how it was just one big advert for a new range of toys by Mattell. And how the cartoons were just an advert for the toy range in essence.

I hope you said this: "Well, DUH!"

And then sat back and enjoyed the film.
Twenty-four hours a week, seven days a month

daniel robert chapman wrote:
chairman_hall wrote:I watched this on DVD again about a year ago. And just before I started watching it, my mate began on this explanation on how it was just one big advert for a new range of toys by Mattell. And how the cartoons were just an advert for the toy range in essence.

I hope you said this: "Well, DUH!"

And then sat back and enjoyed the film.

I should have done to be honest, but the last time I had seen any Transformers was when I was a kid. Being a kid you don't think like that, so I had a bit of a think.

I watched it all mind. Tops.

My favourite bit is at the start and the battle just before all the originals start dying and stuff.

Yeah, I mean it's pretty brutally done; so many old characters die, so many new ones introduced: and it's not hard, as a grown-up, to work out why. But, find an action film that doesn't have that cynicism? And I seriously think that this film goes beyond that and is a really, really good movie. I still haven't seen the new Transformers film but I'll bet the '86 flick is much, much better.
Twenty-four hours a week, seven days a month

r0ck1r0ck2 wrote:plus the original has that scene set to 'Dare to be Stupid'

Not to mention that The Touch is all over the place. Plus Orson Welles's last performance is in this, as a giant planet-eating planet.

chairman_hall wrote:Hot Rod was a bit of a twat.

I liked Hot Rod, but I thought Rodimus Prime sucked ass.

Anyone remember the post movie episodes when Optimus comes back? All the Autobots are infected by some virus that makes them red, and Optimus gets the Matrix back. I forget if Optimus stayed around after those episodes, but it might have been a result of Rodimus's general suck.

Oh, another cool Transformers fact: in the Japanese cartoons, Optimus was called Super God Ginrai.