Dr. Strangelove
Looney Tunes
Charlie Chaplin
Police Squad
Caddy Shack
Annie Hall
Rocky & Bullwinkle

And Bill Hicks

Humour is just too culturally specific to make these kind of comparisons. I can't think of any other reason why Steve Martin, Bill Murray or Dan Ackroyd are considered funny.

But since we're arguing, what about:
Spaced
Monkey Dust
Red Dwarf
Chris Morris (Blue Jam, Brass Eye etc)

and

wasn't Peter Sellars English ?? (Dr Strangelove).

On the subject of food. Yorkshire has the best curry outside of the Indian subcontinent (and in some cases, better in my experience)

British or American?

YO31 wrote:
benmichell wrote:
Brett Eugene Ralph wrote:
But when it comes to creating innovative popular music, America wins, hands down:

USA:
blues
jazz
country
bluegrass
rock & roll
gospel
soul
funk
hip hop

UK:
skiffle

You also gave us Warrant, Winger and Poison. Thanks guys

DON'T LUMP ME IN WITH THAT CRUD!!!!!!!!!

i am an AUSTRALIAN we gave you The Birthday Party, Radio Birdman, The Saints, The Easybeats, AC/DC, Rose Tattoo, The Dirty Three, The Go-Betweens & Frente (who have incidentally reformed) Midnight Oil (who have also reformed) & myriad other amazing rockers & rollers.
i am a good speller. so there.

British or American?

Kubrick used to say that he preferred living in New York, but he wanted to do all of his work close to home, and as a film production center/centre New York was inferior to London. He thought that L.A. was the best place to make films, but he hated living there.

I'm pretty sure I have nothing else to contribute to this thread. Sometimes I wish I could use British slang without sounding like a dumbass, but that feeling usually goes away before long. I drink it away with imported beer, which is easy to pay for given my enormous after-tax income.

Bradley R. Weissenberger wrote:
Mark wrote:Regarding Doctor Strangelove.

Kubrick himself may have been an American (though he seemed perfectly happy over here in Blighty :D ), but the film was shot in the UK and used a mostly British crew. It was also based on a novel by a Brit.

All well and true, but I'm hardly into debating the stupid distinctions drawn by this thread. I just thought the "British vs. American" list of "funny things" was unfairly slanted, and thought that I'd throw out some "American" comedians, movies, TV shows, etc. Citing "Married... With Children" as representative of American comedy is hardly calling for a fair fight.

For the record, I'm well aware of Kubrick's "Englishness". I mean, he lived in England for, what, forty years? So your point's well taken. But he's still the crazy New Yorker that put together "Dr. Strangelove".

You know, it's "his" movie.

Although, truth be told, I ultimately don't give a shit about any of this.

Which means that I really don't care.

British or American?

oxlongm wrote:Sometimes I wish I could use British slang without sounding like a dumbass

I wish you could too, but you can't - you just can't.

I cringe whenever I hear a native-born American in the U.S. using some British word (slang or otherwise), whether it's "bloody" or "arse" which sound all nerdy, or "flat" or "pub" which hip people think they can pull off. They can't, though! None of this is meant to disparage use of British terms by those born British, holding British citizenship, and/or in Britain. Also Commonwealth.

British or American?

Linus Van Pelt wrote:I cringe whenever I hear a native-born American in the U.S. using some British word (slang or otherwise), whether it's "bloody" or "arse" which sound all nerdy, or "flat" or "pub" which hip people think they can pull off. They can't, though! None of this is meant to disparage use of British terms by those born British, holding British citizenship, and/or in Britain. Also Commonwealth.

Speaking as a native-born American, I wholly agree.
Rick Reuben wrote:You are dumber than week-old donuts.

British or American?

upon initial examination, there seems to be no good reason for a skip like myself to choose either. but i should at least be scientific (and simultaneously parochial) about this:

history:
poms: britain creates a dumping ground colony for its overcrowded prisons, and subsequently removes a great amount of natural resources. then, eventually recognizes australia as a sovereign state, yet continues to receive trade benefits through her majesty. sent thousands of aussie soldiers to be cannon fodder at gallipoli, ypres, the somme and north africa. then tested a substantial number of nuclear devices in the desert near maralinga, without understanding that a vast tract of seemingly empty land was in fact home for almost 500 people. 0 points

yanks: did not dump criminals on australian shores. pretty much stepped into the role of australia's big bro after wwii, and erected a single communications and tracking post at pine gap. did not detonate any atomic devices. aside from trying to externally determine australia's foreign policy in respect to afghanistan, iraq and vietnam, haven't sent too many aussies to their death. 1 point

culture:
most of australia's past has been spent trying to define a unique australian culture as distinct from the pervasive influence of both british and american culture. this has been a somewhat futile pursuit, with minor, yet notable exceptions. australians seem to embrace the cultural exports of both the us and britain as part of our own culture. one point each.

spoken english:
poms: for my money, there is nothing more disappointing than a good looking brit girl, for she will inevitably open her mouth and produce a sound not unlike pulling a cat across a chainsaw. cockneys, midlanders, mankies, geordies...ugly, ugly, ugly. scots accents (particularly the deeply inflected glaswegian) are more my idea of heaven, but it would certainly be inappropriate to include this under the hyponym 'british'. 0 points

yanks: despite the existence of many objectionable american accents, on the whole i prefer listening to a midwestern american accent than any british accent. though the inflections can be quite strong, the delivery of words is generally less clipped and the vocalisations are given slightly more time. it's pretty much ny/nj accents that raise my ire. 1 point

sports:
for a nation of 20 million people, australians have never considered british sportspeople or teams a challenge. americans are always a good challenge, and it seems a significant achievement to beat an american team in a sport that is considered noteworthy in the us. yanks 1 point.

politics (since 1980):
poms: thatcher, major, blair. all figures worthy of disdain, but in australian eyes, harmless. 1 pont.

yanks: reagan, bush I, clinton, bush II. you guys were dopey enough to vote his cokehead snotbrained son in. twice. nuff said. -1 point.

as tourists:
there is nothing that makes a saturday night more worthwhile than a glassing from a pisshead brit backpacker. lucky i avoid bondi like the plague. "the ugly american" (big black) could well be paraphrased to "the ugly lancastrian" or similar. whilst i have met a number of american tourists who seem to treat our nation as a curiosity or a novelty, they are generally less noticably antisocial. except when their boats dock in our ports. but that's why we set kings cross up for them. whores aplenty, and not a single bar that any self-respecting aussie would be caught dead in. yanks 1, poms 0.

music:
where is britain's soul music? is it pop? yuk! oh well, i suppose they gave us gang of four...
yanks 2, brits 0.5

totals:
yanks: 6 points
poms: 2.5 points

yanks win tonight folks. poms, lift yer game. and as for aussies, we know we've got the best of all worlds. even though shellac (and a million other decent bands) will never tour here again.
Toby Baldwin
Soul Ranch Leichhardt