Chciago People: Beverly?

I have always known it as the Irish/cop neighborhood. And I know it's a bit mellow, which I think is nice. The El doesn't run down that way, does it? I know you can take Metra into the loop. I am also well aware that it is a very, very white neighborhood, nestled on the south side, and was wondering if there may be some underlying tensions/assumptions because of that.
http://www.sickroomrecords.com/bikethedog
http://www.sickroomrecords.com

turnbullac wrote:I have always known it as the Irish/cop neighborhood. And I know it's a bit mellow, which I think is nice. The El doesn't run down that way, does it? I know you can take Metra into the loop. I am also well aware that it is a very, very white neighborhood, nestled on the south side, and was wondering if there may be some underlying tensions/assumptions because of that.

No el service, but I think it's the Metra South Shore that runs that way. Beverly is somewhat white - but there are some diverse areas - I think more on the east side. I've never heard my sister mention anything about any tensions, etc.

I lived in Beverly for a minute; I have relatives that live in Beverly...black ones; my high school was populated with kids from Beverly. I hate Beverly. Milquetoast neighborhood with absolutely no character. Why in the world do you want to hang out in Beverly? There are amazingly uninteresting bars lining Western ave., a pretty subaverage record store if memory serves, and shitty restaurants. Hegwisch, or, the east side are more fun than Beverly. And, yes, there are lots of Irish folk and lots of cops. I don't think the neighborhood is more racist than any other predominantly "white" neighborhood, but I haven't been there in years.

You can get there by the El, but you'd need to take a bus as well. Take the Red Line to the 95th street terminal, and then hop on the...shit, I think it's the Western bus/95th St. Western bus, or something like that. It's the bus that goes to Evergreen Plaza, which the kids now call "Everblack" due to White Flight.

I guess there is racism there.