Hawkwind

not crap
Total votes: 18 (90%)
crap
Total votes: 2 (10%)
Total votes: 20

Band: Hawkwind

not crap, big belgian waffles. some crap in there for sure but overall not crap. i remember the day i found out about them i was so elated, i laughed for an hour.

"hawkwind" is my favorite whole album followed by "hall of the mountain grill." however, "doremi faso latido" and "in search of space" rock as well. i managed to find "quark..." on lp. it has a few nice tracks.

i also recommend robert calvert's "captain lockheed and the starfighters" to anyone who hasn't heard it. i haven't heard "lucky leif and the longships" yet. i hear it's not as good as lockheed.

calvert musta been a weird dude.

i made this into a t-shirt, on a yellow T.

i'm sure i don't need to tell any of you how fucking cool i feel wearing it.
To me Steve wrote:I'm curious why[...] you wouldn't just fuck off instead. Let's hear your record, cocksocket.

Peripatetic wrote:Can anyone give me an idea where to start with Hawkwind (obviously Space Ritual seems like a good starter), and are there certain records to avoid?

Are the LPs easy to find?

Sometimes I'm embarrassed to admit it, but they were the first band I really loved. I stopped after the first 25 LPs. Basically, everything up to the 1978 split is worth a go but they fall into 3 distinct phases:

Hawkwind > Warrior On The Edge - Earlier is folkier, later is proggier but it's all unmistakably Hawkwind. Space Ritual is the peak for my money.

Astounding Sounds > PXR5 - These are more diverse and much 'cleaner' sounding and feature some of Bob Calvert's finest moments. All except Astounding Sounds are essential. I really rate PXR5 and Sonic Assassins Live 77 is absolutely mental.

After this it went a bit Metal - tread carefully but Live 79 and Levitation has it's moments.

Have fun.

I saw them play in Chicago a couple times in the late 80's or early 90's. Once at the Cubby Bear and once or twice at the Metro. Excellent live band. These shows were all fronted by Dave Brock.

I also saw a show at Lounge Ax. Not an official Hawkwind show, it was Nik Turner playing with Helios Creed. So you got Hawkwind songs, some Nik Turner solo songs and some Helios Creed songs, all in the same performance. If I recall, a song or two from Half Machine Lip Moves was played.

This band called SLEEP opened for them. You may have heard of them.

This show, in every way, was definitely not crap.
Available in hit crimson or surprising process this calculator will physics up your kitchen

Mark Hansen wrote:I saw them play in Chicago a couple times in the late 80's or early 90's. Once at the Cubby Bear and once or twice at the Metro. Excellent live band. These shows were all fronted by Dave Brock.

I also saw a show at Lounge Ax. Not an official Hawkwind show, it was Nik Turner playing with Helios Creed. So you got Hawkwind songs, some Nik Turner solo songs and some Helios Creed songs, all in the same performance. If I recall, a song or two from Half Machine Lip Moves was played.

SLEEP from Detroit or the California Sleep w/ Al Cisneros?
Robert Anton Wilson wrote:The totally convinced and the totally stupid have too much in common for the resemblance to be accidental

enframed wrote:.

i also recommend robert calvert's "captain lockheed and the starfighters" to anyone who hasn't heard it. i haven't heard "lucky leif and the longships" yet. i hear it's not as good as lockheed.

Yeah, that "Captain Lockeed..." album by Calvert is amazing. "Lucky Leif" is a bit different, a bit more mellow, but is stilly pretty damn great.

RIP Robert Calvert!

fancyjamtime wrote:
Mark Hansen wrote:I saw them play in Chicago a couple times in the late 80's or early 90's. Once at the Cubby Bear and once or twice at the Metro. Excellent live band. These shows were all fronted by Dave Brock.

SLEEP from Detroit or the California Sleep w/ Al Cisneros?

California I believe. The band who made Holy Mountain.
Available in hit crimson or surprising process this calculator will physics up your kitchen