TRAYNORetcALERT- The " Look What s on Ebay" Thread

those M80's are the paper filter caps. they're 40 years old and should almost certainly be replaced.

London Power is Kevin O'Connor's company. He's the man when it comes to tube amps, especially Traynors, as far as I'm concerned. I've learned more about amps from him than I have from probably every other source combined. I emailed him asking for help with an aspect of the amp I'm designing, and he responded quickly and was really helpful. Guys that are so willing to share like that are the cat's meow, I think. I got nothing but good to say about that guy.

I've been following 6KG6s on eBay for a while now, and that's where I bought all the ones I have. I picked up every US or UK-made one that I could get for under $20, which was nearly all of them. It's been almost entirely Russian and Soviet-made (6P45S or whatever they're called, I forget) for months now. I'm sure there's more US and UK ones out there, and I'm surely not buying any more unless I can get em for like $10 anyway, so if I see any good ones on eBay for a reasonable price, I'll post about it on this thread as soon as I see em.

If you do the individual bias mod, you don't have to worry about trying to find one that's a good match for the ones you already have. If you don't do the mod, whenever you're up here, I'm sure we can find one that idles right for your amp.
"The bastards have landed"

www.myspace.com/thechromerobes - now has a couple songs from the new album

Look what I bought!

I've been after one of these for some time now. Can't wait to try it. I'm lacking in the p-90 department. I've heard the Wilkinson bridge is a weak point. I'll follow up when it arrives.
Christopher J. McGarvey wrote:In the 1988 season the Orioles lost their first 21 games to set a ML record for most consecutive losses. I decided then to have their logo as my avatar.

Rock-a-lock

Hooray, I just scored my first real traynor (not counting my TS-10). It's a late 60's Bass Master. Got it for $250 from a music shop down in st louis this week. The shop owner said he was familiar with yorkville products, but didn't really know much about traynors....On the downside, it's missing the backplate (which unfortunately contained the serial number) and the front traynor logo, and a couple knobs are wrong. But so far it sounds great.

Hopefully if I get some time this weekend I will take a look inside to see how it looks and check some dates codes, etc. It has two 6L6 tubes (RCA and Fender brand.?...). I'll probably need to take it somewhere for a tube-up or cap job at some point.

Scott,

I checked out the pots today and didn't find any date codes, only part numbers. I managed to find a single working 6kg6a in a crazy electronics store today (it was like finding a needle in a haystack--this place has thousands of tubes in boxes organized in no way whatsoever). I fired the amp up, but didn't really run it through the paces yet. I did take a closer look at the innards and I can see that a few caps are leaky. I'll be figuring out some suitable replacements soon.

It turns out that my studio partner will be up in Chicago for Thanksgiving and the two days following, so if you're willing and have the time, he'd love to stop by with the amp and check out some of your tubes. I'm not sure how matched the one we slapped in there is.

I found the amp on the interweb. It was found through an add on some Google groups list. I'd imagine a guitar shop would've had a better idea of its value and I wouldn't have been able to pick it up so cheap.

I don't know a lot of the music stores in town as well as I should. There are precious few worth going to, really. There's a cool shop called Acme Guitars at Clayton and Tamm in Dogtown. That's a great place to get work done and they always have an interesting selection of guitars and a few vintage amps. There's J. Gravity Strings which has a cool selection of stuff. Fazio's is pretty neat, but it's mostly new stuff.