TRAYNORetcALERT- The " Look What s on Ebay" Thread

otisroom wrote:Traynor Custom Reverb on Los Angeles Craigslist today. I just offered him $250 cash right now today.

What's the skinny on this thing?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/msg/486875303.html

my friend has one- same era too with the silver logo (i'm guessing late 1960's). To me it sounds almost exactly like a Bassmaster YBA-1, with decent Reverb and Tremelo.. If you haven't heard a YBA-1, they kind of sound somewhere in the neighborhood of a 60's Bassman crossed with a Marshall Plexi. Maybe a little louder even. Great breakup. Indestructable, easy to work on too. This model might have a choke.. Scott can tell you more.

The Traynor reverbs that I have heard can be very extreme and glassy sounding. It's similar to a Super/Deluxe Reverb on my YGM-3, but brighter and cavernous if cranked above 6 or so. I like it.

I don't understand why someone would mod these amps- they sound great to me without mods. I have heard them referred to as a "poor-man's Marshall" for whatever reason. I don't get it, but then I have never really owned a 1960's Marshall. :roll:

mr.arrison pretty much covered it all. the power amp is almost the same as the YBA-1, but because of the way the tremolo works, it's slightly different. nearly the same as you'd find in an old 50W Fender or Marshall.

I like the tremolo on this head a lot, and the reverb is nice, too. mine (late 60's) came with a dead reverb pan, which i replaced with the correct model from 1968 that I got off eBay for super cheap. sounds good to me.

the only issue I have with this amp, with mine anyways, is that it's noisy. It might be my first choice for recording, when going for a "lush" kinda sound. it's pretty similar sounding to the 60's Reverberocket, though this amp is more beefy and doesn't sound as old.

but the background hiss is so much that it's not good for recording quiet stuff. it may well be a problem with my amp in particular, rather than the model in general. but the way the footswitch jacks are in the circuit is inherently noisy, running the signal all the way to the footswitch and back. blech.

it *does* take mods well, if you want to make any changes. eyelet board wiring, mmmmmm... the EQ section on this amp is very unconventional and some people really don't care for it. no midrange control and whatnot. if you find it's too bassy, you can change the cathode bypass caps in the preamp to pull out some of the low end. if you don't want trem, you can use those two controls for midrange and a master volume, or whatever you want, etc. there's no reason to mod it if you like it just the way it is. but as far as flexibility to add another gain stage or change the EQ, it's way up there in terms of "easy".
"The bastards have landed"

www.myspace.com/thechromerobes - now has a couple songs from the new album

MRoyce wrote:There's TS-200 for sale on Talkbass, anyone ever seen one of those?

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=338736

I see some fat Motolora TO-3 FETs through that vent screen....

That means solid state. It may or may not have a tube preamp stage.

That face sure looks badass, though. She is a good looking head.
"If you can't get 'yer rock & roll across in less than two minutes,
another five isn't going to make the difference"
- Lin Brehmer