We re going to be in NYC over the holidays

Well, Colonel, you don't know me at all really even in the exciting world of the PRF, but either way, based on your incredible performance yesterday in the "Brits and Budweiser" thread, I am going to recommend this bar to you. I just discovered it last night. It has an absurd beer selection. I had something called Unearthly Pale Ale or something, with like 11% alcohol...they have Dead Guy on tap, seasonal ales (something called "English Oil" or something), Dogfish, etc. Plus a shitload of bottles. And they serve popcorn seasoned with pork fat. It's called "Pork Fat Popcorn." The prices are about as exorbitant as you'd expect ($6-$8 a glass) but they pack a wallop in general, and the alcohol content is listed with every single beer.

(By the way, I had decided not to drink last night but after discussing these mouth-watering beverages with you all on these here internets, it was all over. I found Colonel Panic's recap of the history of beer in America particularly inspiring. Enablers!)

Damn, longdivi beat me to the first mention of pork. I'd suggest hitting up the Excellent Pork Chop House though. Their pork chops really are great, if you're into them, and most of their other shit is as well. I reccomend the spicy wontons in oil, the tofu and seaweed appetizer, the beef stew noodle soup (or beef stew over rice or noodles), the smelt and chili appetizer, and the shredded pork with pickled cabbage fried rice. The place is pretty cheap too, $5-6 for most stuff.

I'd be down for going out for a drink or something when you're around.
Boombats wrote:Any pair of assholes can put their cock and cunt together and make a wee little shit.

Best eggplant parmesan sandwich
Best hot dogs
Best split pea soup
Best music store
Another good music store even though they're fuckers
Best store to buy hip-hop vinyl (if you're into that; it's also right near the best hot dog place mentioned above)
Internet radio station with storefront (I DJ there)
Best view
Best specialty food store
Rock venue with best sound system

As I think of more, I'll let you know.

Fun fact: Slincire and I have been real-life friends for about 10 years.

Oh you gotta check this place out. It's got a pretty great ale selection, free spicy popcorn, free live jazz sometimes (nothing too crazy, just some trios doing standards or whatever)...and they serve some great fucking grub, dude. The venison burger there is amazing; they do wild boar, rabbit sausages, all that shit. It's a great place.

Oh and there is a great non-traditional Middle Eastern place right there in the same neighborhood called Fatoush. Ask around; they don't have a net presence for some reason. It's not like a regular falafel joint but it's GOOD. They bake all the pita there every day and it's fresh and amazing. The babaghanoush is incredible. I recommend the fish shishkabob sandwich.
Last edited by longdivi_Archive on Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

longdivi wrote:I know a lot of my "Bests" are in the borough of Brooklyn but they're not really hard to get to. Brooklyn is a great borough.

here here

i'm in jersey city too and brooklyn is the base of operations for our band. we just found a new practice space near the courthouse in downtown bk for $200/mo.

also give the lower east side some of your time. it's south of 14th, east of 1st ave along avenues a, b and c. lots to eat, drink, do and observe around there. hipster quotient is kind of high, as it is in williamsburg and some other bk hoods, but it's because there are interesting off the beaten path types of people and things around these areas.

hang out around port authority, i think it's 40th street and 8th ave to get a hint of what the city was like before they turned times square into disney world. used to be hookers on every corner, one-legged homeless vietnam vets doing backflips for $1. some odd creatures. you can meet lots of crackheads and heroin addicts around there still.

go to the moma, guggenheim, met. so many amazing museums.

walk through central park if it's not too cold. you can pretend you're Holden Caufield.

music... there's too much of it to get to all of it. any given night there might be 3 or 12 performances you want to check out. PRFers might be interested in the band/shows at toddpnyc.com has. as an example, tonight there's this:

====> THURSDAY 11/29 @ DEATH BY AUDIO <====

:: Ex Models
:::: the Deathset
:::::: Marnie Stern
:::::::: Teeth Mountain

if you don't spend one moment sleeping while you're here you will have seen exactly 0.000000001 percent of what the city has to offer.
http://www.myspace.com/bottombracket

This particular branch has been closed for a while. there's one on St. Mark's that's OK.

Any of the Academy Records locations are probably the best all around. Hospital Productions and Footlight Records are probably the best "only in NY" record stores. You may google them.

Search NYC on the forum and you'll find some other suggestions

I've said it in every "coming to NYC" thread and I'll say it again - walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. everything else is gravy.