Has Anyone Built a Mac? (Hackintosh-Osx86)

I'm not hugely upset by *anything* on this entire board. If I've given that impression, sorry about that.

The reasons I find this topic worth posting about are

(1) the entirely fallacious arguments that people cite to justify piracy shouldn't go unchallenged just in the interest of promoting rationality if nothing else

and (2) people like me end up paying for the software others steal, and that's just not fair

There are other reasons, but these 2 alone are sufficient.

If you start a public thread about the mechanics of ripping people off you should more than expect the public to take exception. After all, they are your ultimate victims.

I might do this just for the challenge.

The only Mac I still own is an old Quadra, which sucks too much balls to even run a modern Web browser. I'm only keeping it around as a relic, like my Commodore C-128 and my old 386.

...And just for the record, I'm not concerned about the "stealing". AFAIC, it's a non-issue. I'm doing this in the privacy of my own home. It's an experiment, an exercise in advanced OS installation, nothing more. It's not like I'm going out and selling these things on the street.

I'll probably end up installing Linux as well and making a dual-boot system with OS X as my secondary OS. I'm not much of a Macasaurus anyway.

galanter wrote:If you start a public thread about the mechanics of ripping people off you should more than expect the public to take exception. After all, they are your ultimate victims.

But it's not about that. You have no way of knowing whether the people doing this have purchased their copy or not. Until you started spouting nonsense, this thread was not about piracy in any reasonable interpretation of the word. You've just assumed they haven't paid so you can get on your moral high horse and be a troll.
Why defend cunts?

I actually find the thread title an interesting question, screw the side-tracking.

When the OSX build for intel hardware first came out, a long, long time ago, I heard that it ran on pretty much anything with SSE2 instructions, so put together a quick test box for the sake of taking a look. The machine was pretty generic, a socket 939 Athlon with an nvidia vga card on a via chipset micro ATX motherboard, and there if any of you recall the early OSX x86 builds that leaked, the common easy setup was just a clone of an install on a HDD, so you just plugged in the cloned drive and turned the thing on and it booted to an installed desktop.
It was responsive enough, and generally stable enough, but there was no way I could persuade networking to occur, the onboard Via Rhine LAN wasn't supported, and neither an Intel 10/100 and a 3COM TC905B produced the magic either. There didn't seem to be much performance disparity between it and my old G4, and that was the main point I was interested in looking at. It passed an hour or two, but was otherwise pretty unremarkable.
I haven't taken a subsequent look at OSX x86 on non-apple hardware since, it doesn't do anything I want to do that linux doesn't do better. I'd still like the option of being able to run OSX on non-apple hardware, I don't have irrational faith in the quality of Apple hardware (made by Hon Hai in China) nor do I like being told what hardware is right for me. I know what hardware is right for me. Apple don't.

Ok. I'm doing this.

My old computer finally gave up the ghost after being much abused (CPU fried - I don't blame it, I'd rendered video on it hardcore for a number of years). It was time for me to upgrade anyway, so I went out and got an AMD Quadcore Windows machine. (I have Vista 64 on it, but am thinking about switching back to XP 64. XP is better..)

However, my old computer is still useful. I've still got 4 Gigs of DDR memory, a power supply, a DVD drive, an Nvidia graphics card, the case, and about a terrabytes worth of hard drives sitting around.

All I need is a new CPU and Motherboard. I'm getting that from Tiger Direct. I'm consulting this incredibly helpful list of compatible hardware and I'm ordering a copy of Leopard from here. and will probably do the Brazil Mac patch method for the installation DVD so that I can put it on my Hackintosh.

However, since I will be purchasing a copy of Leopard, I won't feel too badly if I get frustrated and download the Kalyway install DVD.

Why am I doing this?

I'm not a huge fan of Macs. As noted earlier in the thread they don't network well, and I've seen the spinning beach ball of death more times than I've ever seen the blue screen of death on Windows PCs.

However, that "Macs are better for graphics and design" myth still perpetuates in the art world to a certain degree, and it's had a pretty profound effect on the video and film editing industry. Everyone wants to use Final Cut these days. I've used Final Cut plenty. It's nice. But it's not appreciably better than Adobe Premiere or Avid Composer.

I was actually turned down for a job recently because I don't own a Mac. You may cry bullshit, but it's true. The interview went well, I had all the skills they were looking for, they were liking me just fine, they liked my demo DVD, they asked me if I could use Final Cut, I said "yes I can use Final Cut" they then asked "Do you use a Mac at home?" and I said "No.", and the change in the room was palpable. Interview was over shortly after. Never heard from them again.

Mac Snobs.

Well listen up Mac Snobs. I can't afford your $2800 for your lousy Mac Pro (which only comes with a paltry 2 GBs of memory and then you want to charge an extra $499.00 for 2 more Gigs of Memory? What kind of dickhead do you think I am? DDR memory only costs $49 a stick for Windows machines!)

However, I can afford $299 for a Quadcore CPU and Motherboard bundle, and $100 for a copy of Leopard, and me and my little Hackintosh will laugh ourselves silly all the way to the bank. (I also picked up an unopened copy of Final Cut Pro from a guy on Craigslist for $150. No idea where he got it.)

Also, through the hardware list and forums at InsanelyMac I was quite pleased to find out that you could run Leopard on AMD CPU machines. I quite prefer AMD over Intel.