Selling a Veleno?

tmidgett wrote:
juice wrote:No way, sell it, and buy an electrical, or two or three. Even if the electrical is only 80% of the guitar that your veleno is, you'll probably be happy with that 80% and 18,000 left over.

I have had a similar argument with myself over my Travis Bean Wedge bass.

On one hand, the Wedge is worth a ridiculous amount. I could sell it and get an Electrical and be happy from a musical point of view.

On the other hand, the value of the Wedge (or the Veleno) is NOT going to go down. No one's ever going to make any more of them.

Every guitar I ever sold is worth a lot more now than it was when I sold it.

Just keep that in mind. It's an investment as well as an instrument, and if you sit on it for another 20yrs, you might be real glad you did.

This is a good argument, but thinking like that you're never gonna sell anything as there will be always high chances getting even bigger cash for it "in a couple of years from now". The figures in this thread are really high, so I don't think you (zom-zom) would be kicking yourself for selling it.
And ask Gallo for 130% of what it's worth on ebay. Nothing to loose here.

What are the chances that VG is already aware of this thread?

Selling a Veleno?

BadComrade wrote:I just saw Vincent (hi Vincent!) in a TV commercial for some brand of vodka last night (they show the bottle of vodka for about 1 second at the end, so I have no idea what brand it was, but really... who gives a fuck anyway?). Now would be a good time to hit him up for money, since he's riding high on the cash he's making from that commercial (I bet it's $60,000 minimum).

Maybe there will be an "indie rock hall of fame" that you can sell it to some day for $20,000...

hi vincent! ha ha! badcomrade, you really suck man.
a sense of history

Selling a Veleno?

holmes wrote:velenos...genuinly offensive on the eye those guitars. i think beans will be worth more in the future as though more were built, they look far far cooler. get rid of the thing and buy an artist.

Beans are hideously ugly. You have it reversed. While the Veleno has a nice double-cutaway Telecaster shape, and in the case of mine a brilliant chrome finish, Beans look like potatoes, or a triangle. I hate the way they feel, I would never, ever consider owning a Bean.

Thanks to the nice people who have offered to give me money, but I am happily employed and make a decent living, give that money to some poor people.

It's a struggle with medical stuff as anyone else without health insurance knows, every procedure is very expensive and if you miss a couple of payments like I did, the fucking hospital sends your debt to a collection agency who harasses you at work, even. I am still trying to figure out a way to get rid of these debts without selling the thing. I'm sure it will go up in value somewhat, but I can't imagine that much more than it's currently worth.

Selling a Veleno?

[quote="zom-zom
It's a struggle with medical stuff as anyone else without health insurance knows, every procedure is very expensive and if you miss a couple of payments like I did, the fucking hospital sends your debt to a collection agency who harasses you at work, even. I am still trying to figure out a way to get rid of these debts without selling the thing. I'm sure it will go up in value somewhat, but I can't imagine that much more than it's currently worth.

Collection agency are blood suckers who generally buy the debt at pennies on the dollar from hospitals. Medical debt usually goes for really cheap, because very few people actually pay it. I wouldn't pay more than $0.50 on the dollar. My mother-in-law has been paying the medical bills for her uncle recently and she learned a few tricks:
1) The hospital has several different rates for procedures. The book rate for insurance and rates for everyone else. She has been very successful in having bills lowered to the insurance rates by just asking.
2) Ask the hospital if they will forgive the bill. Many hospitals have funds set aside for people without insurance. My mother-in-law has also had success in getting $1000s of bills waived.
3) Suggest payment plans to the hospital that really favor you- like $50 a month or some other low ball amount. Many times they will accept this just to avoid the collection agencies.
4) If you have the cash offer really low pay-off amounts to the collection agencies. Almost anything you pay them is going to get them a return, so the quicker they have you money and can close the file the better it is for them.

Now, if you think that the era of ridiculous guitar value increases are over than sell the guitar. Lets say the guitar appreciates at an average of 5% a year and it's worth $15,000 to VG. In 12 years it would be worth $30,000 and in 24 years it would be worth $60,000. 5% is only a couple of points over historic inflation numbers. You're better off taking what's left of the money, after paying off bills, and sticking it in a mutual fund (or some other similar vehicle) and hopefully get a better return.

if you think the guitar is still going to have massive value increases- say 10-20% a year- than hang on to it if you can. Obviously, no one knows for sure. Good luck and I hope this works out for you.