Solving Latency Issues Recording on Computer

I use two 1010's and they work great for zero latency monitoring. I return my D/A signal back into a console, in varying configurations depending on the setup. If you don't already have a mixer, I would recommend getting a cheap 6 channel thing for monitoring purposes. That way you can send a stereo return of what's already recorded to channels 1&2, and then use the other channels as returns that are monitoring what you are recording.

Here's an example:

Existing tracks routed to H/W Out 1&2 in software.
Recording guitar overdub (two mics) into H/W In 3&4.

Send H/W Out 1&2 to channels 1&2 on the mixer, with "H/W Out 1&2" selected to "Wav Out 1&2" on the 1010's digital patchbay.

Send H/W Out 3&4 to channels 3&4 on the mixer, with "H/W Out 3&4"
selected to "H/W In 3&4" on the digital patchbay.

That way you can set yourself up with a headphone mix on the on the mixer either using an aux send, or monitoring the main L&R mix.

All of this can be done using the 1010's monitor mixer function, but it's nice to be able to have controls in front of you when tracking that aren't going to affect what is being recorded (ie. when a vocalist is doing an overdub, if they have a headphone send from an aux on the mixer, you can solo their vocal track without it affecting them or what is being recorded).

As a side note, I have used the 1010's monitor mixer function as a seperate mixer when I have been tracking to tape and have run out of return channels to monitor what's coming back from the tape machine.

Sorry if this is confusing or unnecessary information for your purposes. I think the 1010's are great in their flexibility for zero latency monitoring.
www.cartercorecording.com

I got it! And you're right it rules. Only thing I don't like is I can't label what is going through the digital monitor mix for the Delta so I need a notepad heavy so I can remember where to turn up guitar #1 post haste for a drummer that hates headphones. Other than that it seems pretty great.

My mackie counts for less every day.
Colonel Panic wrote:Anybody who gazes directly into a laser is an idiot.

I had to send my 1010 back a few weeks ago for cap replacement, although I believe this is a fault that only commonly occurs on the older models.

Also worth knowing if you use 1010s is that the channels are noisier the nearer they are to 1.

So 7/8 are the quietest, 1/2 are the noisiest. It's a simple case of power supply positioning, but since 1/2 are the default main outs, it seems slightly retarded that the power supply lives at that end of the break-out box.

Also they run very hot.

Apart from that, all good!
I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride.

Are your 2 1010s linked via Word Clock? If not... the should be.
I also have mine linked via Spidf and use that buss to make monitor mixes from unit 1 (Spidf in on unit 2) and monitor off of unit 2 (Analog out unit 2)

I get 16 CH. of latency free monitoring controlled by the M Audio Control mixer.

Works great. No issues ever with Cubase SX3. I have Vegas 5 and remember not having as much control over Latency in the App. but I assume it has changed. I always suggest Vegas for anyone that need to do Audio and Video work. I think it is one of the most overlooked applications around.

Just as an update to this thread,

I encountered some latency issues with recording, even though I was monitoring direct. What I was recording was being placed a little bit later in the track, and the overdubs weren't matching up. I had to click the box that said "Direct Monitoring" in one of the Device Setup pages. This solved the problem, although it meant that I could no longer use the "listen" function on the tracks.

A couple of people have asked me similar questions about this problem, so I just thought I'd mention this possible solution.
www.cartercorecording.com