DIY help - broken shower!

Glenn W. Turner wrote:
Alberto the Frog wrote:Seriously, if the fuse has blown, you want to establish why it has blown before doing anything else. I reckon you'd be wise to call a sparky.

There could be a short in the wiring that is causing the breaker/fuse to trip. Or, perhaps you need a fuse with a higher rating than the one that's in there now. The fuse would not be located in the unit itself, but in your breaker/fuse box for the house. The best advice is to let an electrician sort it out. I've never seen a hot water unit like this in the states. Do you have one of these units on the kitchen sink? It seems economical to only heat the water that you're using instead of keeping a tank of water heated at all times, but it must put an extreme load on the wiring when hot water is suddenly required.

I don't think that it's a heater, Glenn W. Turner.
Looks like more of a timer or electric mixing valve.
Don't those four things that Arrow #3 is pointing at
look like small fuses to you?

Hey, Simmo, what does that thing do, exactly?
King of the Punk Rogers.

Y'know, all of you are right - I should leave this to a qualified electrician to sort out. I just didn't fancy going without a shower until 2008, but I guess I'll have to get used to it.

Thanks for the advice anyway, it's really appreciated!

Rog - the reason I haven't moved out of this deathtrap yet is because it's no worse than all the other deathtraps I've lived in and about as good as I can afford...

Anyhows, thanks PRF! I'm gonna get me a qualified sparky as soon as I can find someone who'll work at this time of year!
Rick Reuben wrote:
daniel robert chapman wrote:I think he's gone to bed, Rick.
He went to bed about a decade ago, or whenever he sold his soul to the bankers and the elites.

It's a power shower. Do you colonials never require these things?

They're used when the water pressure (as provided by gravity) isn't sufficient to give a powerful shower - a pump increases the water pressure. The dial on the front is the hot/cold blend.

There's (usually) no heating going on, just blending and pressurising.
I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride.

Alberto the Frog wrote:It's a power shower. Do you colonials never require these things?

They're used when the water pressure (as provided by gravity) isn't sufficient to give a powerful shower - a pump increases the water pressure. The dial on the front is the hot/cold blend.

There's (usually) no heating going on, just blending and pressurising.

Here's a blurb from mirashowers.com (about electric showers)

Electric Showers
Instantaneous showering day and night for the whole family. That's the beauty of electric showers. They draw water directly from a cold water supply and heat it as it is used, so you don't need to have a stored hot water supply. Because they are easy to install in main and en-suite bathrooms and dedicated shower rooms, electric showers are extremely versatile. In fact, virtually every home - new and old - can have one.

I'm not arguing the point, just showing what I based my opinion off of. I have never seen one of these units before. I might have to look into getting one, my shower pressure is almost nil.

Glenn W. Turner wrote:I'm not arguing the point, just showing what I based my opinion off of. I have never seen one of these units before. I might have to look into getting one, my shower pressure is almost nil.

I stand corrected! Simmo's shower does indeed appear to heat the water! Let us engage in no further shower-related argument!
I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride.