Community College

CRAP
Total votes: 2 (13%)
NOT CRAP
Total votes: 13 (87%)
Total votes: 15

Institution: Community College

I can see calling community colleges crap.

I don't think that they are. I vote not crap because I can see how CCs can (not that they always do) help prepare folks for work or more school after their high schools have let them down by either graduating them when they are tragically underprepared for higher ed/employment or allowing them to become discouraged to they point where they give up before finishing (or mastering basic survival skills like viable reading and writing abilities).

Aside from the wars he started, I think that this (= No Child Left Behind) is one of Bush's most shameful legacies, however this started way before him.

I teach and advise at a CC with a student body composed of 90% minority students, mostly Filipino and Hawaiian or Part-Hawaiian. 60+% place in to remedial writing courses, 80+% place into remedial math courses. Many of them don't make it through a two year program, but having some school is much better than nothing and we are constantly working on improving our retention rates. The folks who do complete either have a much better chance of finding a decent job or continuing at a four-year institution. That's not crap.

wow.. since the last time I took linear algebra was 6 years ago, and it seems to be the bread and butter of grad school, I'm retaking it at community college. $300 for 4 credits. NOT CRAP! The diversity of students is amazing. At the university you get cultural diversity but not much economic/age difference. Apparently they even take students that are serving time in prison. Not sure how that works but the instructor was complaining about it...

The best thing about CC is that the instructors actually give a shit. Many university professors are so busy that they cannot afford to give a shit, so they are less prepared.

If there's anything I could change about my life, it would that I drop out of high school at about 16, get a GED, then go to CC, then back to what I ended up doing. I wasn't very popular with the administration at the last school I taught at for suggesting that to about ten students.

I should see what LIU is offering in the summer.

CC - not crap in the slightest.

Not Crap. There are a handful of four-year programs for Funeral Service Education, Ohio and Minnesota have them, and that would have been a great way to go for the experience of it all. But I was 31 when I went into the field and needed to get my degree and license quick so I could get off the $7.50/hr. apprenticeship wage slavery jazz.