American Dad??

Champion Rabbit wrote:The dad/daughter thing is so beyond clumsy that I found it hard to believe it was supposed to be a dig at the right-wing so much as a dig at clumsy socio-political comedy?

This is fair, to a point. Still, like a "cool" band covering Styx, doing something that's not entertaining because it's "funny" is, at the end of the day, doing something that's not entertaining. Give me funny over "funny", and entertaining over ironic, and anything over those clumsy dad/daughter bits.

American Dad??

Linus Van Pelt wrote:
Champion Rabbit wrote:The dad/daughter thing is so beyond clumsy that I found it hard to believe it was supposed to be a dig at the right-wing so much as a dig at clumsy socio-political comedy?

This is fair, to a point. Still, like a "cool" band covering Styx, doing something that's not entertaining because it's "funny" is, at the end of the day, doing something that's not entertaining. Give me funny over "funny", and entertaining over ironic, and anything over those clumsy dad/daughter bits.

I agree; I hope I didn't give the impression that I thought it was good!

I thought it was shite.

American Dad??

I'm not sure how I feel about this show yet. I watched last night's pilot, and it had some good moments, but for the most part it felt like a weaker, less focused version of Family Guy that was just trying too hard. I didn't laugh out loud once.

That said, the Simpsons episode last night - Jesus H. Christ. Homer does a stupid dance, Moe asks him "if fries come with that shake", Homer pulls out some fries, Moe eats some fries. Give up the fucking ghost lads, if that's the kind of utter tripe you're willing to pass off as inventive and original comedy.

American Dad??

djanes1 wrote:Since I'm not a fan of family guy, i wasn't really expecting to find American Dad that funny. And I didnt. Most pilot episodes are pretty weak however, in general. Because of its high concept and obvious similarities to an existing show I dont expect it to last a whole season. Overall the thing reminded me of 'That's My Bush' -- a successful tv show creator going on an ego trip to make some kind of statement.

family guy's success is pretty debatable though

American Dad??

peterbuldge wrote:
djanes1 wrote:Since I'm not a fan of family guy, i wasn't really expecting to find American Dad that funny. And I didnt. Most pilot episodes are pretty weak however, in general. Because of its high concept and obvious similarities to an existing show I dont expect it to last a whole season. Overall the thing reminded me of 'That's My Bush' -- a successful tv show creator going on an ego trip to make some kind of statement.

family guy's success is pretty debatable though

Yeah. You betcha.
Rick Reuben wrote:You are dumber than week-old donuts.