Sunn model t vs Sunn 300

I have heard the sunn 300 and love it. Anybody have a sunn model t and heard a 300. If so did you think they sounded close to each other. The sunn 300 sounds great for bass. Is the sunn model t eq more tailored for guitar. It sounds like it to me. Anbody agree. Why does the model t sound so bad compared to the 300. Maybe needs tubes. I think there is 3 12ax7's in there. I will switch the phase inverter to a 12at7. See if that helps. Anybody have advice. Oh and what is the actual wattage of the amp. Must somewhere between 150 and 200. 4 6550's.

Sunn model t vs Sunn 300

I found out some info myself. The sunn model t is a guitar amp. It was never designed to be a bass amp. The eq is a guitar eq. Lots of people like this for guitar. Very few people like this for bass. I guess if you used it for bass you would be looking for a very odd sound. One without the low bass. I guess bass to me has bass. You can get a very cuttting bass sound. Not my cup of tea. My three favs are. Ampeg SVT. Sunn or Fender 300. Ampeg V4B.

Sunn model t vs Sunn 300

Robot near failure wrote:I found out some info myself. The sunn model t is a guitar amp. It was never designed to be a bass amp. The eq is a guitar eq. Lots of people like this for guitar. Very few people like this for bass. I guess if you used it for bass you would be looking for a very odd sound. One without the low bass. I guess bass to me has bass. You can get a very cuttting bass sound. Not my cup of tea. My three favs are. Ampeg SVT. Sunn or Fender 300. Ampeg V4B.

I knew a guy that used a Model T for a Bass amp with an old Eden 4x10 cab. It sounded quite good, and he was happy with it. A lot of older tube amps w/o master volume controls are quite good with both bass and guitar, though quite often it's better to use one with a bass cab for bass or face the risk of killing speakers and or lousy tone.
"Fuck compose, Fuck melody, Dedicated to no one, Thanks to no one, ART IS OVER".
-Juntaro Yamanouchi

Sunn model t vs Sunn 300

My old '70 Model T, with matching 4x12 Model T cab sporting Celestion 75s, worked just fine in a pinch as a bass amp. No speaker-farting like my C75-equipped Marshall 1960A cab does running bass, oddly enough.

I'm not sure if impedance was a factor. I sold that amp 7 years ago, but IIRC the impedance was switchable on the amp and configurable on the speaker. I ran mine low in hopes of extending tube life, since the amp was so loud I could never get the power section past 3 anyway.
iembalm wrote:Can I just point out, Rick, that this rant is in a thread about a cartoon?