Polvo v. Archers of Loaf?

Polvo
Total votes: 22 (50%)
Archers of Loaf
Total votes: 22 (50%)
Total votes: 44

Either-Or: Polvo vs. Archers of Loaf

Both bands are mediocre indie rock.

Archers of Loaf had something to say but not the means to say it.

Polvo had the means but had nothing to say.

I find it difficult to listen to a whole album from either of these bands.

The album Vee Vee is a joke; songs meander along without the focused indignation of good hardcore punk or the resolute imagination of good post-rock. Tell me is "Fabricoh" meant to be the same song as "Web In Front"? Did they make "Death In The Park" up as they went along; was it done extempore in the studio? "The Worst Has Yet To Come" can only refer to "Underachiever's March And Fight Song".

Polvo at least kept things tight and tedious; their phenomenology of indie is "ingenious" and "clever" in the manner of Frank Black's solo work.

I've listened to all the albums and EPs that Archers of Loaf and Polvo released, but I haven't listened to each of them many times.

Vee Vee and White Trash Heroes are the only albums by AOL which I strongly dislike; the others are decent enough.

I don't like the music I've heard that has come out of Chapel Hill - either accomplished but annoying (Squirrel Nut Zippers, Ben Folds) or self-consciously "indie" (Superchunk, Polvo, AOL).

It all has half-assed "I'm clever and cool" wounded self-consciousness written all over it.

HOUSTON_M wrote:self-consciously "indie" (Superchunk, Polvo, AOL).

Wtf.

...i've typed and deleted several things after "wtf," but nothing i can think of is quite properly illustrating the "wtf" this statement produced in me. Did the concept of "indie rock" as a fricking sound even exist when these bands started? Seriously, what am i missing here?
http://www.ifihadahifi.net
http://www.superstarcastic.com

Marsupialized wrote:Thank you so much for the pounding, it came in handy.

HOUSTON_M wrote:I don't like the music I've heard that has come out of Chapel Hill - either accomplished but annoying (Squirrel Nut Zippers, Ben Folds) or self-consciously "indie" (Superchunk, Polvo, AOL).

It all has half-assed "I'm clever and cool" wounded self-consciousness written all over it.

We don't care for you eithuh, suh.
Now, good DAY, suh.*

-A

Modern, non-Antebellum translation: "if you pass through town, make sure the door doesn't hit you in the ass when you leave."
Itchy McGoo wrote:I would like to be a "shoop-shoop" girl in whatever band Alex Maiolo is in.