how (the fuck) do you cook rice?!?!

bigc wrote:How much do they cost?

you can get a decent one for maybe 20 bucks. I think my proctor silex one has lasted the ten years I've lived in the city. My family usually has a heavier duty one that holds maybe 15-20 cups, b/c they usually cook for more people. mine's only a four cup, but that'll make enough for five or six people, easy.

Just go with a brand you've heard of (Oster, Panasonic, Zojirushi, Black and Decker, etc). I prefer the ones with the metal pot and the glass lid, but those latching top steamers work well, too:

The nice part is that they regulate heir own heat and turn themselves off, so you don't have to watch the stove, lower the heat, stir or any of that other nonsense that puts extra steps between you and delicious fluffy rice.

Khichidi is fantastic for breakfast. It used to be a time consuming process, where you'd have to boil the rice and the dal and then mix them and such with the spices, you could cook it in a half-hour to an hour. now you just take 1/2 to 3/4 parts yellow dal to 1 part rice, some turmeric powder and cumin seeds, a tablespoon of ginger garlic paste, diced serrano chilies and some fried onion on top, toss it in the rice cooker and turn it on.

Five minutes of prep and it's ready in twenty minutes.

but please! some recipes for stovetop toast would be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by kerble_Archive on Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
kerble is right.

kerble wrote:Khichidi is fantastic for breakfast.

This thread DEFINITELY needs more rice-cooker recipes. And I need to figure out where to get yellow dal in Plainfield.

I will also endorse the combo rice-cooker-veggie-steamer models. I have made LOTS of food with almost zero effort with this thing. You people have no idea.
Rick Reuben wrote:You are dumber than week-old donuts.

kerble wrote:seriously, do you 'stove cookers' have any fucking recipes for fucking boiling spaghetti that we should all write down?

You have to know, upon reading this, that you've chosen a poor example for your point. I bet you cook spaghetti on top of a stove in a pot of boiling water. You have to keep an eye on when it's too long. Some folks will tell you to add things to the water or to shock the spaghetti when it's finished or other things. Just like the rice.

The toast thing is a better analogy - a dedicated device for a particular task.

But not a spaghetti cooker.

Meanie,

= Justin

Antero wrote:
kerble wrote:Dear Aeropagite, are you going to trust a bunch of white folks who buy boxed rice or are you going to trust all of Asia?
It's true.

Racist.

I gotta get me a rice cooker, just like them Asian folk.
Marsupialized wrote:I want a piano made out of jello.
It's the only way I'll be able to achieve the sound I hear in my head.