Goat on vinyl versus CD

Can anyone intelligently comment on the differences (if any) in the sound of The Jesus Lizard's Goat on vinyl versus CD? All I know about the vinyl is that it's a picture disc which supposedly is noiser than regular vinyl. Does anyone know how it was mastered? I've got a decent stereo and speakers on which I can easily appreciate the difference between an "awesome" vinyl issue and its CD counterpart, but as the quality gap lessens, my ability to appreciate it (and desire to spend $ on it) drops exponentially.

Incidentally, this is the coolest message board I've come across in ages. Am pretty sure just about everyone here is cooler than me. And the crap/not crap threads are decidedly not crap.

Goat on vinyl versus CD

I've heard that Goat sounds eons better on vinyl, and I've also heard this about Two Nuns and a Pack Mule. I can't really verify, however.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

Groucho Marx wrote:Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

Goat on vinyl versus CD

Conchis wrote: I've got a decent stereo and speakers on which I can easily appreciate the difference between an "awesome" vinyl issue and its CD counterpart, but as the quality gap lessens, my ability to appreciate it (and desire to spend $ on it) drops exponentially.

You'll be cool with me until the point you start buying directional cables for your stereo, and you tell me how much better they are than the regualr cables. --Then it's OVER!
"Fuck compose, Fuck melody, Dedicated to no one, Thanks to no one, ART IS OVER".
-Juntaro Yamanouchi

Goat on vinyl versus CD

D'Piucchstre wrote:
Conchis wrote: I've got a decent stereo and speakers on which I can easily appreciate the difference between an "awesome" vinyl issue and its CD counterpart, but as the quality gap lessens, my ability to appreciate it (and desire to spend $ on it) drops exponentially.

You'll be cool with me until the point you start buying directional cables for your stereo, and you tell me how much better they are than the regualr cables. --Then it's OVER!

But aren't they?

Actually, most of my interconnects ARE directional, but I got them as part of an otherwise truly compelling package deal with my stereo and speakers. And up until a couple months ago I had them backwards! Suffice it to say changing to the proper direction failed to change my world.

Edward wrote:My copy of Goat is on regular vinyl and it sounds great. I've never heard the picture disc edition.

I didn't even know there was a regular vinyl release. All I've seen on the used market are the picture discs. Interesting.

Goat on vinyl versus CD

Conchis wrote:
Edward wrote:My copy of Goat is on regular vinyl and it sounds great. I've never heard the picture disc edition.

I didn't even know there was a regular vinyl release. All I've seen on the used market are the picture discs. Interesting.

There was a standard black vinyl pressing. it sounds great. it has been unavailable for quite a while.

there was a very limited picture disc pressing (there was one of LIAR, as well). as most or all picture discs, it sounds like shit.