great drum records

Can - Ege Bamyasi, Tago Mago
James Brown - In The Jungle Groove, the late '60's-early '70's in general
Funkadelic - Maggot Brain
Swans - Filth

and any Sly Stone record, most likely.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

Groucho Marx wrote:Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

great drum records

danken wrote:
zach hill is nuts. even if you dont like hella its fun to listen to him drum.

I liked his playing on the Marnie Stern Lp. Saw them live and he used an extremely shallow bass drum (no more than a few inches, diameter was conventional) surely to cut any sustain. The trio sounded symphonic at times.

Bclark wrote:
mastodon - leviathan
PRF poster Shevek knows Brann and heard some roughs for the upcoming long player at a friend's house in rochester. Should be epic. I first saw him play around 15 years ago and he was amazing then.

Since all of the obvious choices have been mentioned, my pick is Elvin Jones on Sonny Sharrock's "Ask the ages" record. Many drummers seem to like Billy Cobham's "Spectrum"

great drum records

pretty much any album by the who with moon on the drums is a belter. (see also bonham)

whatever your feelings on the band themselves some of the drumming on 'in utero' is amazing - really agressive stuff.

i also love the drumming on 'melody for certain...' by blonde redhead.

nomeansno have some great drumming in parts but after a while i get bored of the schtick.