Critically lauded albums that do nothing for you

Robert G wrote:I'll go first. For me, it's one that fits both: The Stooges' Fun House LP. I checked out the 2005 Rhino reissue out of the library and I've been listening to it on and off for the past few weeks. Is there something I'm missing here?

There's more than one thing you're missing there.

Am I just not rock 'n' roll enough to feel the awesome everyone says this album is?

Probably--but only you know the definitive answer to this question.

I want to say this album totally rules right there with my other albums that I think are winners, but then I'd be a liar.

Better a liar than a fool.
dontfeartheringo wrote:I need people to act like grown folks and I just ain't seeing it.

I'm surprised by the "Double Nickles" comments. I only started listening to the Minutemen a couple of years ago and man, I took to it faster than any other band. Duck to water. Believe the hype.

Funhouse doesn't seem like an aquired taste to me. If you don't start bobbing your head in approval at the onset of this record...I don't know what to tell ya.

I would say any Nick Cave album I've ever heard is an overrated disaster.

Joy Division: Permanent *ducks*
music

offal wrote:Holy shit.

Kerble was wrong.

This certainly changes things.

Marsupialized wrote:Husker Du is horrible, every album every song

I like some Husker Du records, but I'd agree that they're overrated. I haven't listened to them in years and can't really imagine doing so. Bob Mould's exaggerated holler is the soundtrack for Romanticized adolescent angst. I could probably get down with hearing some Grant Hart songs, though, which I always preferred anyway.
dontfeartheringo wrote:I need people to act like grown folks and I just ain't seeing it.