How does this new style rub you?

The Right Way
Total votes: 13 (59%)
The Wrong Way (No votes)
It's Reznor, so I don't really care.
Total votes: 9 (41%)
Total votes: 22

Another example of sticking it to the Majors

Skronk wrote:I figure not many people give a shit around here, but there's a new free release, "The Slip".

Hey, thanks for posting this! The sounds of Reznor have always intrigued me, and he really seems to be pumping them out lately. It's funny, wasn't there a 6 year gap between The Downward Spiral and The Fragile? I remember talking to a huge NIN fan at my work and he was telling me how so much time had been spent on that album and it would be groundbreaking in style and scope. Then I heard it and realized it was the same formulaic grind and lyric as before. "The Wretched" was like "Get Down Make Love" without the sex sounds. So terrible.

NIN has always been about the sounds and the sample. I think few would argue the fact that Reznor is a horrible songwriter, and even worse lyricist.

For some reason, my windows-based cd burning program wouldn't burn all the mp3 files. The default xubuntu cd burning program burned the flac-encoded version no problem.

+1 linux, net 0 NIN. Waffles for your free music.
"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill

madlee wrote:There's a story about how the day after Ellington won the Presidential Medal of Freedom he played a gig with his orchestra at a high school dance somewhere in the midwest.

How many rock bands are even considered for cultural awards?
How many rock bands could afford to travel with an orchestra?

Cry me a river, Dukester.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electrical dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.

steve wrote:How many rock bands are even considered for cultural awards?

How many rock bands have actually been as culturally relevant as Duke Ellington considering his musical contributions and background?
How many rock bands even have the slightest clue how to write for any kind of orchestra let alone their own instruments?

(I've now graduated to 'useless piece of shit'. love it. loving it. )

steve wrote:
madlee wrote:There's a story about how the day after Ellington won the Presidential Medal of Freedom he played a gig with his orchestra at a high school dance somewhere in the midwest.

true, but it was 1970 at the time and things were cheaper then.
I think in the next 20 some years, we will begin seeing the baby boom's generation of cultural idols get their fair share of awards.

Ellington was actually 1 year older than armstrong and came up in a very DIY manner. There wasn't any patronage during most of his career, probably not until the last 10 years of his life, when he began to get that kind of recognition. He was a guy who was always on tour traveling from town to town. I would think you'd have respect for that. Does getting a teeny bit of acknowledgment at the end of your life from the powers that be cancel out a lifetime of hard work?

givemenoughrope wrote:
steve wrote:How many rock bands are even considered for cultural awards?

How many rock bands have actually been as culturally relevant as Duke Ellington considering his musical contributions and background?
How many rock bands even have the slightest clue how to write for any kind of orchestra let alone their own instruments?

(I've now graduated to 'useless piece of shit'. love it. loving it. )

We would live in a very different world today had it not been for The Beatles. The changes they wrought are so ubiquitous as to be inconspicuous these days, because they've been the central reference point for a lot of "establishment" pop culture for well over a quarter century. Punk rock, as a response to '70s mainstream hippie culture, owes its very existence to The Beatles. Even Elvis was just a fad that faded by the time folk music took hold in the early '60s.
iembalm wrote:Can I just point out, Rick, that this rant is in a thread about a cartoon?

Well, I'm totally with Lily Allen on this one (i.e. her comments regarding Radiohead's In Rainbows). She certainly is a fountain of wisdom. Oh, and Winehouse is crap. As for the NIN stunt, I think it's all by-the-by. It's really a shame that this stuff attracts any attention at all. What they (he?) should focus on is actually assembling a concise album using all the creative skills at their disposal. If the release ends up having any artistic merit what-so-ever, it can survive by taking the traditional release path... So long as a NIN sticker is slapped on the front. NIN don't strictly have a "patronage market", becuase there's no central funding body from which they can draw (as compared to the ubiquitous cultural or classical funding bodies). He does, however, have a TARGET market: Young goths + thirty something dudes = disposable income. I think, either way, our little Trent-oh is gonna be alright!

FuzzBob wrote:
We would live in a very different world today had it not been for The Beatles. The changes they wrought are so ubiquitous as to be inconspicuous these days, because they've been the central reference point for a lot of "establishment" pop culture for well over a quarter century. Punk rock, as a response to '70s mainstream hippie culture, owes its very existence to The Beatles. Even Elvis was just a fad that faded by the time folk music took hold in the early '60s.

Duke Ellington probably wasn't allowed to use the front door of a lot of clubs in the beginning. For creating some of the most sophisticated dance music ever heard and taking it to a white audience who won't use the same bathroom as you he ought to be commended. (I would have stayed at the Cotton Club.)

fischer wrote:...If the release ends up having any artistic merit what-so-ever, it can survive by taking the traditional release path... So long as a NIN sticker is slapped on the front...

"Traditional release path" as in a tangible format? Reznor's been releasing all of his latest stuff as cd's and vinyl about a couple of months after their torrent release. It sounds as if you don't think too highly about releasing music for free.

steve wrote:

Does any musician need a cultural award? A pat on the back with a formality, and maybe a nice check.